• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Spain to recognise ape rights (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/FBCFE1B1-1994-4EDE-95CF-AAD664F9CCA2.htm

Spain's parliament is to declare its support for rights to life and freedom for great apes, in what will apparently be the first time any national legislature has recognised such rights for non-humans.

Spanish parliament is to ask the government to approve the Great Ape Project, which would mean recognising that our closest genetic relatives should be part of a "community of equals" with humans, supporters of the resolution said.
=/

Why?

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I don't see what's so embarrasing about laws that enshrine the protection of the great apes (or of any animal, for that matter). These are complex, feeling beings who deserve protection from violence. It makes me sad; we're so wrapped up in ourselves, in our own amusements, that we lose empathy for the animals. We forget our humanity when we forget our sense of kinship.

0Jade0

HSC
Why create laws like this in a country that doesn't have a great ape population?

There are only a few hundred apes in Spain, mainly chimpanzees
Where? Seriously? In zoos?

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
0Jade0 said:
Why create laws like this in a country that doesn't have a great ape population?

Where? Seriously? In zoos?
Spain is taking the initiative. Don't forget that Spain is right on top of Africa - I don't know what they have planned, but I'm quite sure it connects to their geography. I'm very impressed with Spain.

0Jade0

HSC
That the monkeys swam over or that they want to influence Africa?

I think that a lot of other issues need to be looked at before ape rights in Spain.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
0Jade0 said:
That the monkeys swam over or that they want to influence Africa?

I think that a lot of other issues need to be looked at before ape rights in Spain.

You could alot say that alot of other issues need to be adressed before you adress a single one of them - and hence nothing will ever be achieved. There will always be some domestic issue taking priority over animal rights, but I don't see how passing laws about animal rights means that domestic issues will be ignored. I'm not an expert on the topic, but bear in mind the smuggling of animal products, and the possible political or economic pressures Spain could exert on the African states.

0Jade0

HSC
Well I think the state of health care in Spain is more important than ape rights.

Generator

HSC
N/A
0Jade0 said:
Well I think the state of health care in Spain is more important than ape rights.
To push one agenda isn't to say that they are ignoring another.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
But does recognising ape-rights affect the state of health care in Spain? I don't see how the two are linked. If the Spanish government is complacent about health care then it deserves criticism for complacency about health care - it doesn't deserve criticism for recognising the rights of apes.

0Jade0

HSC
I just think that humans are more important than apes. That is all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)