space (1 Viewer)

gather, process, analyse information and use available evdience to discuss energy costs associated with space travel.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
In current space travel, liquid fuels are used in combstion to acelerate the vehicle in space. However, this means .that the vehicle must carry its own fuel, and increases the amount of energy required to achieve the same thrust as an ion rocket or solar foils.
Right now, rockets must carry a high percentage of wieght in fuel and fuel containers to even achieve escape velocity, and to accelerate it in space travel requires even more fuel, as the vehicle obeys Newton's laws (F=ma).
It is very inefficient.
Instead, to decrese energy costs. Scientist hav turned towards ion thrusters, which is light weight but low acceleration (usable only in space). This uses a nuclear reactor, a much more efficient fuel from the massive amounts of energy released in fission..
Also, solar foils carry the same disadvantage, using the momentum of light (trust me they have momentum to accelerate. However it requires very little energy from the spacecraft itself..

wait a minute... doesn't HSC Online say something about this?

for this dotpoint, do u have to give numerical values about the costs involved or just sort of go through the kind of cost, e.g, fuel, material..... and suggest the improvemnts they r making?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I'm covering all bases so that I don't fall short (look at all the big verbs!). But, I don't think numerical values are a must. Just go through & describe the kind of cost involved.

Check it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)