Space DP (1 Viewer)

nero_46

"Discuss the importance of Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation in understanding and calculating the motion of satellites."

Can someone help me with this one...

Huy

HSC
N/A
* newton's laws and the motion of satellites

the motion of the planets around the sun can be described by the equation r^3/T^2 = GM/4 pi^2. this equation is found by comparing the force from the law of universal gravitation with the force required to keep an object in circular motion. it represents the mathematical form of kepler's third law.

kepler's laws not only apply to planets and comets orbiting the sun, but they also apply to satellites (natural and artificial) and spacecraft orbiting planets. kepler's third law can, for example, be used to calculate the mass of a planet by determining the period and radius of a satellite of that planet.

newton's law of universal gravitation determines the motion of satellites, enabling scientists to calculate their position and velocity at any instant. it also controls the motion of spacecraft travelling through the solar system to other planets.

that's all i've got, sorry

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun
I think that's quite right, because I saw a similar answer in the excel physics book (one of the questions in the "trial").
i took it from excel physics ;)
it's my holy bible for physics, lol!

easy to read,
easy to understand
easy to memorise

it works for me,
it's a little brief in some parts, but it gets the job done
(i use other text books as well, but i like to learn from excel first, before i get into the detailed textbooks :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)