Sources & Quotes (1 Viewer)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I was just wondering where everyone else gets their sources and quotes from...

I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Our school gave us no text books for year 12 ('can't afford them', apparently...) and we have no resources in our poor excuse for a 'library' which has no more than a shelf of young-adult fiction... And our local library isn't extremely useful in terms of its content on Ancient History.

I've managed to get through the last two units (society and time period) using just the internet and the one book I DO have, as well as my excel study guide (I know, I know...). But we're now on to our personality (Caesar) and I'm finding it really difficult to find good quotes and sources to use to back up my claims.

Our teacher doesn't really give us anything either...

So where do you guys find yours? Should I just keep trawling the internet?

Last edited:

44Ronin

HSC
Go to a university library

For Caesar, look towards Appian, Livy and Caesar works.

Last edited:

Shiznit

HSC
We're doing Augustus which there's heaps of sources on, but im not really sure about Caesar.. If you were doing Aug. i could have helped you out ALOT but try googling 'ancient sources' or 'primary/secondary sources' with your topic name.. If you really cant find ANYTHING why dont you try other libraries, instead of your local one

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to look at those.

I might have to think about going to some different libraries, then, too...

My worry is that I'll probably have to travel a while to find anything decent, it takes me 2-3 hours on the train just to get to the city so the prospect of travelling for books is slightly daunting.

LordPc

HSC
try to get your hands on some past hsc responses of caesar. then you might be able to just look at the sources they used and look them up.

i think going on a saturday to a university library would be a good idea.

also ask your local library whether or not they can get some books in for you. cause some libraries are linked and will transport a book from one to another if somebody requests it. some libraries however arent linked and so they will charge you for this, so check, maybe you can get some books from another library for free

Salem O'Brien

HSC
ask yor teacher if they have any books on the topics. you'd think a history teacher whith any bit of passion would have a couple of books on the subject at home, atleast mine did and let us use them.

simplyyme

HSC
my teacher has a habit of giving a ton of sheets which are quite useful as well as us having a textbook on our topic.

Also me and a couple of other people in my ancient class have made evidence sheets for each topic, we each were assigned a certain section within the topic eg: for Pompeii and Herculaneum i had to do an evidence sheet on the economy, which included me having to find quotes as well as written and archaeological sources on the economy, and then our teacher would photocopy them for the others who did evidence sheets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)