source sof variation (1 Viewer)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
i came across a Q that asked how does our understanding on the sources of variation support darwins theory of evo

first of all i stated what his theory was, but is it correct to say that Darwin proposed that variation was RESPONSIBLE for evolution by natural selection?
the fact that theres knowledge on crossing over, mutation, random segregation and independent assortment, provided evidence and support towards his theory in that he couldnt explain how or what the sources of variations were??

jannny

HSC
Yep i think your answer is right,

Darwin's evol theory is all about variations, which leads to changes in the genetic composition of the species (natural selection).

However Darwin did not have any idea about how "variations" came up, and today we already know how variations are produced (random segregation, mutation, etc) which contributed to changes in the species.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
That's an interesting question. I don't know how many marks that question is worth. But it will depend on how much you'll need to say.

You really need to say that our increased knowledge is due to the understanding that variations have a genetic basis, like what you and janny have said. More importantly, we know that these variations are inherited, so to pass on these characteristic on to the next generation of offsprings due to the evolutionary advantage that certain traits possess. Therefore, this process of graduate change in the genotypic composition of a population reflects Darwin's theory of evolution.

readert

HSC
Remember VERA
V: Variation
E: Evolutionary Advantages
R: Reproduce
A: Adapted Populous

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
^^^

what exactly does that help with? like in relation to what would i need to knwo VERA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)