Sound and USB troubles in linux (1 Viewer)

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
Hi all, I recently formatted and installed Mandriva Linux 2005 Limited Edition onto my Compaq Presario 2568ap laptop.

As usual I had to install without autodection as it freezes on the Texas Instraments IEEE1394 device, which seems to be a common problem for my model laptop.

After installing everything seems to work fine, however there is no audio and the USB does not work (previous versions of mandrake had USB working, and no sound). I checked that the audio driver is the right one (from a knoppix). But it seems that the ALSA service does not run, when i click start, nothing happens. As for the USB, I have no idea.

Any help will be much appreciated.

- phizz

fatmuscle

HSC
i'm assuming you've checked both Mandriva and driver sites for any compatibility issues that may have risen from other users?

Adrian.

HSC
I think by default the ALSA mixer is set to mute so run 'amixer' from bash and see if that works. Is hotplug installed for USB? Try taking a look at tldp.org

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
yeah, I ended up trying to unmute using amixer. The bash replied that there was no command 'amixer'.

In the end I've switched distro's to SUSE 9.2, everything works sweet (however installing new programs gets fustrating from SUSE's lack of libs/packages, but its solvable).

As for help from the mandriva site, I had no luck, they've changed their site and made it worse.

anyways, thanks for the help.

Adrian.

HSC
phizz said:
yeah, I ended up trying to unmute using amixer. The bash replied that there was no command 'amixer'.

In the end I've switched distro's to SUSE 9.2, everything works sweet (however installing new programs gets fustrating from SUSE's lack of libs/packages, but its solvable).

As for help from the mandriva site, I had no luck, they've changed their site and made it worse.

anyways, thanks for the help.
My guess is then that ALSA wasn't installed. Good luck with Suse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)