SOR Essay Confusion (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL man, you don't need to memorise an essay.

You need to engage continuously with the question. It's not English where you can just throw in parts of the rubric and still get good marks with little relevance to the question.

CameronM

HSC
Pretty much what I did was: remember the basics of each religion, where they get their ethics from, Parables+Miracles of Jesus, letter of Paul of Tarsus, Ten Commandments, their practices e.g. baptism/marriage. This leaves more room for some quotes from the sacred texts. I found that knowing the basics, allowed me to stress a lot less, and these basics e.g. Ten Commandments, Five Pillars/Four Noble Truths/Eightfold Path/Five Pillars, would then link to biblical quotes and was able to illustrate points I was making rather well. I did this in the trial too in Religion and Peace and got 95%. Memorising a essay is silly, when all you'll be thinking of is what to write next, rather than what the question is asking you and then refer to your knowledge rather than a memorised essay. Same for Section II, remember the basics and it'll be a breeze.

I also found that I had a lot of time, M/C and short answers I did in like 15 minutes. This gave me more time to think and ended up writing my way through 3 booklets for Section III and IV.

Also, tip for any future SOR students:
  • Make tables for quotes early on.

Have columns for the Religion e.g. Christianity,
  • Where in the text is it (e.g. 2 Corinthians 2:17),
  • What point this makes,
  • Maybe a modern day action toward achieving this e.g. World Council of Churches (very handy if Section IV is about world peace),
  • And maybe even a modern day quote e.g. by the Pope, Archbishops etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)