SOPA and PIPA (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Wikipedia Protest Blackout to SOPA+PIPA 18/01/2012:

"Imagine a World Without Free Knowledge - For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia"

Apparently Google's Home page and even Facebook might protest against SOPA and PIPA.

What are your thoughts on SOPA and PIPA? Will it destroy the internet forever?

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
these two acts are an unfortunate necessity in the eternal struggle against scoundrels and miscreants

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
What are the chances that Obama veto's it?

HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently both have been withdrawn from congress now.

inJust

HSC
Honestly, I think SOPA and PIPA is just a plow for the government to receive lobbying money. Think about it. Google/Facebook/Twitter/Wikipedia all earn millions in advertising any given day. So the risk of shutting their website down FOREVER is going to cost them billions in the long run. Wikipedia shutting down a day is already hurting them. But that's how much it means to wikipedia. So you think they aren't "lobbying" under the table? "Donations" and the like?
If the government threatens this, then all said companies would be forced to give them money to "influence" them not to do so. Obviously they won't do it. Most of congress rally their supporters on Fb/Twitter and probably have google as their homepage.

Trust me, they're just rallying for lobbyist money. They won't actually go through with it.

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
It's just a scare, so they would get money. I thought you guys would know how 'bought' both congress and the senate are. I feel quite lucky to be living in Australia. At least our corruption isn't that transparent.

Aliyas

HSC
If it actually passed (although I highly doubt it will, plus I was told many of the key players are dropping support) then the world will be thrown into complete chaos. People won't take it lying down.

HSC
Uni Grad
If it actually passed (although I highly doubt it will, plus I was told many of the key players are dropping support) then the world will be thrown into complete chaos. People won't take it lying down.
Pretty sure they would, people are terribly subservient and passive/apathetic shitcunts.

inJust

HSC
Pretty sure they would, people are terribly subservient and passive/apathetic shitcunts.
Civil disobedience is the most effective weapon. Look at OWS. People are starting to dislike the corporations.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
you talk about it like it's a recent thing. mnc are so anti competitive that even some capitalists dislike them.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah except they had dedicated people that actually knew what they were complaining about

the OWS guys are basically the Hippies from that South Park episode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)