Someone please help me - to figure out course cost? (1 Viewer)

RedDeadMaddie

HSC
Hi there, I'm looking at doing a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws and for the life of me cannot figure out how much the course is going to cost. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

I *think* I've calculated it to be around $51,000 - is this really high? Is it worth doing just law?

Last edited:

will90211

HSC
I'm doing Arts and it's around 9,000 for 4 years. Thats pretty damn high but I know Law and Science units usally cost bucket loads. Don't fear though, you can HECS (which every single person I've ever met has) which means than until you earn 39,000 p.a (I think) you don't need to pay any annual/session fees except the standard 136 SAF.

By the way, congrats on the awesome ATAR!

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally, 1 commerce or law subject will be about $1200 if you add it to HECS.
Some maths subjects will be less, but because fees are done in tiers for national priority and all that junk, pretty much it will be $1200 a subject.

So, for your Comm/Law course that is a minimum of 40 subjects, meaning about $48000 plus interest (if you do HECs)

It isn't unreasonable; Obviously your considering doing a double degree because you want to have the most options and skills to get you ahead in life. When you consider even just grad salaries in accounting for instance, most sit around 50k. So, if your willing to sacrifice your salary sooner, you can repay it sooner. Or, you just have the minimum taken with your tax every year and not worry about it. A lady from my work who recently turned 30 is only now paying off her HECs because she didn't care. Hasn't stopped her from doing anything in life!

I personally would suggest, despite the cost being higher, to do the combined degree. You're giving yourself more options in life. Commerce and Law are fairly popular degree choices and so there is a lot of people to compete with for jobs. Doing the combined degree gives yourself just a few more options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)