Someone explain this to me ? (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
I can see where you're coming from and yes C would probs occur as well but note that the question asked for Australia's major TRADING PARTNERS. These influence our exports which would have a bigger impact than foreign investment so B is more correct. In addition though, note for example that trading partners does not neccessarily equal investors. From memory, the U.S.A and U.K are the biggest investors in Aust. but they aren't our biggest trading partners. Does this make sense?

oompaman

HSC
N/A
I can see where you're coming from and yes C would probs occur as well but note that the question asked for Australia's major TRADING PARTNERS. These influence our exports which would have a bigger impact than foreign investment so B is more correct. In addition though, note for example that trading partners does not neccessarily equal investors. From memory, the U.S.A and U.K are the biggest investors in Aust. but they aren't our biggest trading partners. Does this make sense?
Yep :D

Didn't think about trading partners does not neccessarily equal investors

Thanks

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
There's always the chance that foreign investment in Australia will increase as investors seek to utilise their money in stable markets.

chrisman9519

HSC
yea what ozko is saying, when the GFC hit, there was a mass flock to safe assets - US and German treasury bonds, because in a world where the American/German bond market defaults or w/e, the whole world is screwed. Since our cash rate would be higher than those of a depressed economy - not depression - because of their expansionary monetary policy there, if anything would be an increase in international investment into oz

but with regard to the question, since there is a higher investment --> current account surplus increase --> current account deficit increase

also less demand for our exports... so higher CAD

lol. easy question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)