Some simple questions (1 Viewer)

BeastieBoy

HSC
Hi, i'm not great with english but i have realised that a few marks in english can make a big difference to my uai. It would be a huge help if you could answer these questions:

1. What is in paper 1 and paper 2? What texts do i need for each one, etc?
2. What's the best way to study all the texts that i need?
3. Any other last minute tips that might get me an extra mark or two?

Thanks in advance!

Frenglish_Angel

Hey Beastie Boy! Seriously, it's true you can dramatically change ur mark in ur HSC from what u have been getting all year. Just put ur mind to it...If it makes u fell better, I'm doing Eng Ext 2, so that's three times worse, lol...

Ok, Paper 1 is your Area of Study. The Journey topic you either have Inner, Imaginative or Physical Journey.

The first part of the paper, you will be given texts to look at (visual, written etc...) and you will be asked broadly to look at how journey is portrayed, so learn techniques and how they position the audience.

Second part of the paper is something creative. It could be a narrative, interview, letter, etc...try to have some scenarios prepared before you enter the exam, so u can manipulate them according to the question.

The third part will be an essay, where you are provided with a statement on journey. Here you will be asked to dicuss your prescribed Journey text, one Stimulus Booklet text and at least one related text. Make sure you have a back up related. You can try to prepare an essay, but make sure you have clear links for each to the Journey core, and links between each text.

Last minute tips?! Hmm, ok, when u are writing any sort of response, straight away think and what and how. What themes are being portrayed, what techniques are being used by the composer, and how do they position the audience...always remember the 'e' words: elicit, encourage, exaggerate, emphasise, entice, evoke, etc...Even if you don't understand the question, include EVERYTHING you know, and at least you can get good marks for that. Remember, they give the questions to display your knowledge of the course. Make sure you know lots of quotes and the course syllabus words. Use them throughout, and let the quotes formulate your sentences. Never leave a paragraph without a couple of quotes, and use a magic quote for your conclusion. When thinking techniques, straight away think narrative voice, first person, second person, third person. It's barely ever in second person, but first person is intimacy with the audience, and third person a detached, unbiased view...third person is the omniscient narrator.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Nessa...

Last edited:

BeastieBoy

HSC
thanks nessa! that is a big help. i'll be back on tuesday asking about paper 2 though. thanks again!

Frenglish_Angel

Hey Beastie Boy, u might want to read the last paragraph of my response, I just editted it so u can get some more advice. Do you want help with Paper 2 now I'll be happy to help. Is there some sort of private messenger thingy on here, coz I would give you my email if you needed help. Actually, you can email me under my username...feel free, I will reply. You can send one now if u like, and I might be able to send you some material. What course are you doing, and prescribed text for Journey?

BeastieBoy

HSC
a bit of help would be great if its not going to interfere with your study. do you have msn messenger or anything? i could help you with the more technical subjects if you have any in return.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)