some questions on the syllabus (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i have some questions on a few of the syllabus dot points that i don't quiet understand. i need some help...

the first dot point on part 2 of production of material says:"discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry". what does this mean? does it mean the need to find an alternative to make "plastic"?

the 2nd and 3rd dot point on part 5 of production of material says: "describe how transuranic elements are produced" and "describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced". from i read in the text books they are both produced in the same way, then why is there two dot points? or is there significant variation between how those two are produced?

on the acidic environment part 2 there is this dot point which says: "assess the evidence which indicates increase in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen". from what i understand there is no increase in atmospheric concentration, though there is an increase in the release of these gases, but rain washes them away since they are acidic oxides. im confused because it asks to assess the evidence and the thing is there are no reliable evidence for long periods of time since these oxides are quite hard to measure in low concentrations before they had technologies to do it in the last few decades. is the syllabus wrong or did i not understand the question?

and can someone help me distinguish between the verb "assess" and "evaluate". what do you have to do differently in answering a question with these two verbs. thanks

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

the first dot point on part 2 of production of material says:"discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry". what does this mean? does it mean the need to find an alternative to make "plastic"?
Not just plastics, but fuels and every other product derived from petrochemicals.

the 2nd and 3rd dot point on part 5 of production of material says: "describe how transuranic elements are produced" and "describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced". from i read in the text books they are both produced in the same way, then why is there two dot points? or is there significant variation between how those two are produced?
The questions are very similar. Off the top of my head, I think that not all commercial radioisotopes may be transuranic, but I'll check the textbook for that. More specific examples would definitely be needed for commercial radioisotopes.

"assess the evidence which indicates increase in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen". from what i understand there is no increase in atmospheric concentration, though there is an increase in the release of these gases, but rain washes them away since they are acidic oxides.
But the oxides are present in the atmosphere for some time before it rains...and it does not rain in all places at all times continuously, so taking averages for an area will produce some useable data.

and can someone help me distinguish between the verb "assess" and "evaluate". what do you have to do differently in answering a question with these two verbs. thanks
I quote the Grammar chemistry booklet 2002...

Evaluate - Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of

Assess - Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Re: Re: some questions on the syllabus

Originally posted by kini mini
Not just plastics, but fuels and every other product derived from petrochemicals.
but i thought fuel is not a product of petrochemical industry since it is directly derived from crude oil.
The questions are very similar. Off the top of my head, I think that not all commercial radioisotopes may be transuranic, but I'll check the textbook for that. More specific examples would definitely be needed for commercial radioisotopes.
not all are but they are produced the same by bombarding neutrons.

so you say more specific examples should be used. does that mean like using a particular type of commercial radioisotope and describing how is it made?
But the oxides are present in the atmosphere for some time before it rains...and it does not rain in all places at all times continuously, so taking averages for an area will produce some useable data.
oh yea...i can do that. but i still think the dot point is wrong or is just extremely ambiguous.
those definitions to me are very similar. would there be a difference in the way you would answer a question with evaluate and a question with assess.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
"discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry". what does this mean? does it mean the need to find an alternative to make "plastic"?
Just adding to what kini mini said, this dot point means that you have to talk about why it is important to find a new source for these compounds because petroleum reserves will run out in the near future.

I quote the Grammar chemistry booklet 2002...

That is the exact wording straight from the BOS website:p
If you want the full list of those words go to
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/glossary_keywords.html

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Re: some questions on the syllabus

but i thought fuel is not a product of petrochemical industry since it is directly derived from crude oil.
It's still a product - distinguished from the raw material.

so you say more specific examples should be used. does that mean like using a particular type of commercial radioisotope and describing how is it made?
Yes, most textbooks have an outline. I memorised Thickett's cobalt-60 one, I think it had to do with putting pellets of cobalt-59 in graphite cylinders that were then inserted into areas of high neutron flux near the core. But I could be wrong, it's something you should look up.

those definitions to me are very similar. would there be a difference in the way you would answer a question with evaluate and a question with assess.
IMHO, there is not likely to be a difference that is apparent to you and me. Even the definitions look the same. But the BOS clearly believes that there is a subtle distinction that they have attempted to articulate. Bear it in mind, and answer the question as best you can.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
actually conquering chemistry's example is technetium-99m and its quite detailed on that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)