some questions from HSC 03 help! (1 Viewer)

unfold

HSC
i hope u guyz can help me out here and thanks in advance.

1. Discuss effect of Earth's rotational motion on the launch of tihs satellite. (2)
i just need to check with this one. So to get to marks, is it enough to say that earth's rotation on its axis from west to east provide a velocity boost to the satellite during launch. Thus, the launched satellite is launched towards the east such that it saves fuel during launch.

2.Outline TWO features of the aether model for the transmission of light. (2)
I saw on the markers comment that many students listed FEATURES of aether .. which is what i did. so what features are there?

3. Q22 asks to describe a first hand investigation to demonstrate the effect on a generated electric current when the strength of the magnet is varied. (5)
How do you vary the B-field strength? is it just changing magnets of different strength?? AND what about how the other variables are controlled?

Last ONE!!
4. Compare the model for the conduction of electricity in metals at room temperature with the model for conduction of electricity in superconductors below Critical Temp. (this question is kind of confusing but straightforward at the same time?)

thanks guys..i hope its helping you guyz revise as well :D

unfold

HSC
edit

i dunno how to edit this thing.. so the word FEATURE for aether...i meant PROPERTIES for aether..FEATURE is what i'm trying to ask.. :rolleyes:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
1. yes
2. yes
3. just use a motor it will spin faster or slow down
4. cooper paris and all that bs

rama_v

HSC
for 1 dont forget to state that the earth spins fastest at the equator. hence its advantagous to launch a rocket from a location near the equator.

Ghost1788

HSC
4. In metals electricity is transfered by a transfer of momentum from electron to electron as the metal has a 'sea of electrons' it works on a principle that could be put as every electron for themselves...

In superconductors electrons form Cooper pairs whereby the electrons buddy up into pairs and 'help' each other through the lattice that is the superconductor...because of this, the energy required to get through the lattice is less and resistance is significantly reduced....

i think i'm more or less correct though i kinda tired right now
so it maynot be the best response...

Haku

unfold said:
i hope u guyz can help me out here and thanks in advance.

1. Discuss effect of Earth's rotational motion on the launch of tihs satellite. (2)
i just need to check with this one. So to get to marks, is it enough to say that earth's rotation on its axis from west to east provide a velocity boost to the satellite during launch. Thus, the launched satellite is launched towards the east such that it saves fuel during launch.

2.Outline TWO features of the aether model for the transmission of light. (2)
I saw on the markers comment that many students listed FEATURES of aether .. which is what i did. so what features are there?

3. Q22 asks to describe a first hand investigation to demonstrate the effect on a generated electric current when the strength of the magnet is varied. (5)
How do you vary the B-field strength? is it just changing magnets of different strength?? AND what about how the other variables are controlled?

Last ONE!!
4. Compare the model for the conduction of electricity in metals at room temperature with the model for conduction of electricity in superconductors below Critical Temp. (this question is kind of confusing but straightforward at the same time?)

thanks guys..i hope its helping you guyz revise as well :D
tired, so ill try to answer as best as i can

1. i think that would only get u one though. but i think it is important to say that the space craft even before it lunch has a velocity of the earth (what is it?), but this is relative to the sun!!!! u much mention the relative part. Cause if u look on the earth it is no different.

2. there is another thread made for it. but ill answer it here. Many students just listed things like the properties, ie permiable through all substance. But u gota link it to light. Ie permiable through all substance and it is the required medium for light. Also it is a absolute frame of reference, where all objects including light is based in.

3. ...not sure. could someone explain that. is it just like that higher B field higher current and vice versa. also there is a formula for it right? a current formula?

4. the model put forward for ohm is that when temp is 0K than there is no conductivity. if one graph, x-axis is temp, and y-axis is conductivity than it just would be a diagonal line. the current model with critical temperature contradict the ohms model. draw a Tc graph to compare the two models. and talk about the BCS(i tend to leave out the C, so it becomes the BS theory) theory. and juxtaposed to the drift velocity and the impedence of the lattice struture. thats around 6-7 marks.

EDIT: sorry about the spelling errors and grammars and stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

serge

HSC
rama_v said:
for 1 dont forget to state that the earth spins fastest at the equator. hence its advantagous to launch a rocket from a location near the equator.
only to the east,
no point launching from the equator
if you go the wrong way

rama_v

HSC
serge said:
only to the east,
no point launching from the equator
if you go the wrong way
lol, the poster had already said it was launched towards the east ;)
But yeah, good point..

tennille

HSC
For 1, also mention the increase in velocity the Earth's rotation provides.

serge

HSC
nosadness said:
someone answer question 3 please
I'd say you vary magnetic field strength by
using 1 or 2 identical magnets with different distances

Use 1 magnet if you dont care about the type of field
2 magnets if you want straight field-lines
[forgot the tech. word for that, i think it
might be a uniform field?]

the other variables are made controls by not
changing them inbetween testing

serge

HSC
Satellite and Earth's rotation

The satellite question specifies 'this satellite'
so i dont know what they mean (havent got the past papers)

The type of launch depends on how you want the satellite to orbit
Im pretty sure for some orbital paths the satellites needw to be
launched from near the poles because they act differently, so each launch
is dependant on the purpose of the satellite

I dont think the earth's velocity (ie launching to the east
is too necessary just to get something into orbit)

The earth's velocity is most important when you're sending
something to say Mars where you need as much speed as possible

Last edited:

Haku

yea if u launch from the poles, that would give u an inner orbit. so the satellite goes to the inner planets, ie mercury and venus

while equator is for out planets like ur anus(lol i am still in primary school)

serge

HSC
nosadness said:
yea if u launch from the poles, that would give u an inner orbit. so the satellite goes to the inner planets, ie mercury and venus

while equator is for out planets like ur anus(lol i am still in primary school)
I thought 'satellite' implies its going to orbit the earth?

Haku

does it?

well replace satellite with probe than. i am not too sure on that point. well if satellites are orbitors than they all launch near equitor

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
3. Do faraday's experiment with the galvanometer and just change the strength of B by using 1,2,3,4 identical magnets etc.

serge

HSC
nosadness said:
does it?

well replace satellite with probe than. i am not too sure on that point. well if satellites are orbitors than they all launch near equitor
nah, I think the Butler explains 3 different orbits
they dont have to be from the equator
(or so i remember?)

Haku

well the inner space travel ones are not launched from equator. but i think all that is out of the scope of the syllabus

serge

HSC
yeh, they wont get too tech on us
the points made on this thread are
detailed enough for full marks

great it was only 2 marks back then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)