some questions about comm/arts (1 Viewer)

schmackers

HSC
N/A
hi

i've searched the forums and looked at the handbooks... but i'm still a bit confused on a few things. Could some current students/anyone else who knows fill me in on these:

1. Do we have to do an even number of arts and commerce units? e.g 20 commerce subjects and 20 arts subjects? Or can we do say 30 commerce and 20 arts, as long as the minimum requirements are still met? Also, under the single commerce degree, it says you can do electives from the Arts faculty.... so if you wanted to do more arts than commerce units, couldn't you just do them but have it credited under the commerce part?

2. Is it advisable to do two commerce and two arts subjects per semester? And is it possible to finish one degree before the other?

3. In the example course structure, it showed senior units of study to be worth 6 credit points each... now i know that each arts unit will be worth 6 starting from 2006, but does that mean the commerce ones will change by then too? Or will they remain 8 credit points?

5. Lastly, is it recommended to complete the compulsory commerce units within the first year? Do most people do this?

Hope i made sense... thanks!!! :D

Last edited:

The_DJ

HSC
schmackers said:
hi

i've searched the forums and looked at the handbooks... but i'm still a bit confused on a few things. Could some current students/anyone else who knows fill me in on these:

1. Do we have to do an even number of arts and commerce units? e.g 20 commerce subjects and 20 arts subjects? Or can we do say 30 commerce and 20 arts, as long as the minimum requirements are still met? Also, under the single commerce degree, it says you can do electives from the Arts faculty.... so if you wanted to do more arts than commerce units, couldn't you just do them but have it credited under the commerce part?

2. Is it advisable to do two commerce and two arts subjects per semester? And is it possible to finish one degree before the other?

3. In the example course structure, it showed senior units of study to be worth 6 credit points each... now i know that each arts unit will be worth 6 starting from 2006, but does that mean the commerce ones will change by then too? Or will they remain 8 credit points?

5. Lastly, is it recommended to complete the compulsory commerce units within the first year? Do most people do this?

Hope i made sense... thanks!!! :D
Well from what i know..

1. i think its required that you have to do more commerce units than arts, i read it somewhere in the eco and bus handbook..

2. you have to choose at least one arts and one commerce subject in each semester.. theoretically, you can finish one degree before the other..

3. I rang up the economics faculty the other day and they said that 'they were in the process' of changing senior units from 8 to 6.. but i think they will change because as its happening across the board.. they said that they were still 'discussing' the how this will affect workload and majours etc..

4. My cousing spread out his core units within 3 years.. this gives you more 'free space' and do subjects that you like in the first couple of years rather than just commerce commerce commerce in the first year! I completed micro, macro and econometrics core units in the first year and then this year im doing acct and infs..

i hoped i've helped..

Last edited:

frenchie

HSC
The_DJ said:
3. I rang up the economics faculty the other day and they said that 'they were in the process' of changing senior units from 8 to 6.. but i think they will change because as its happening across the board.. they said that they were still 'discussing' the how this will affect workload and majours etc..

If this is the case why can't the commerce faculty let us know....Arts handbook had big bold headings "majors from 2006 will be 36 credit points" . I was considering the international business major, as it has only been introduced this year there are only 4 units to choose from, 2 of which commence in 2006.
4x8 = 32. if they change credit point values to 6 that'll make things fun won't it?

Already annoyed at what it does to my french major, originally everything was 4cpts ....basically means you can't do as many interesting options in the major.

The_DJ

HSC
They really wouldn't give me a straight answer.. but they did say that they were going to give students plenty of notice when or if they do decide to do the changes..

My main conceern is the weighting of the workload.. i mean a former 4 unit subject will now be equivalent to an 8 unit subject.. how the hell is this going to work out???

I'm hoping they'll tell us pretty soon..

BTW - i see you are doing french and history as majours.. i was thinking of doing the same.. which junior history units did you do? I was thinking either european medieval history or modern european history for the first semester..

Last edited:

frenchie

HSC
hey DJ,

actually I am starting History major this year!

quite torn also about which units I will pick....probably HSTY1045 modern europe. Whats your feeling?

I wish I could do both....but so many commerce core units to cram in...completed none in 04....the thought fills me with dread. What are your commerce majors going to be? I hope IBUS fills me with a sense of intrigue and desire to learn...otherwise I'll consider WORK.....otherwise....... :( My other commerce major will be political economy, which I have already started. On reflection I really should have done a simple BA or Eco and Soc Sci. Oh well.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The_DJ said:
4. My cousing spread out his core units within 3 years.. this gives you more 'free space' and do subjects that you like in the first couple of years rather than just commerce commerce commerce in the first year! I completed micro, macro and econometrics core units in the first year and then this year im doing acct and infs..

i hoped i've helped..
You dont have to do the 6 units in 1st year?!!?

frenchie

HSC
Okay DJ thats sorted!

After consulting the online timetable I find that HSTY1045 clashes with a french unit.....so I'll be doing HSTY1022! Oh well. Looks pretty good too.

Bless clashes - solves problems for me.

The_DJ

HSC
Frenchie,

Well my marks for marketing last year wasn't too bad so i'll probably majour in that, along with international business.. with a language and history majour for arts (if the arts faculty lets me..) i think that'll seem like a good combination to have..

I think i'll end up doing modern european history coz medieval history clashes with my marketing subject.. but i'm leaning towards european medieval history.. apparently it's more 'thematic' rather than simply remembering particular dates and events.. but meh.. i dunno.. i'll ask around during enrolment to see which I find more interesting..

How did you find introductory french? I only know the basics such as 'hello', 'bye' etc.. how intense is first year french?

The_DJ

HSC
Sarah168 said:
You dont have to do the 6 units in 1st year?!!?
Yeah.. as long as you finish your degree with those core units.. you don't have to do any commerce subjects in the first year.. BUT most senior commerce subjects have prerequisites which require you to have completed a particular core subject..

Personally, why bore yourself in the first year with a truckload of commerce subjects when you can choose art ones instead? You'll find that you will enjoy your uni experience much more (and get better marks!) if you do subjects that interest you along with the compulsory subjects..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)