• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

some nice tips for answering exam questions (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
here are some helpful tips that i put together for answering exam questions:

Read the questions carefully.

Underline the key verb(s) and circle the subject(s).

Especially be careful with plurals, this suggests that at least 2 bits of information is needed if not more.

Always try to integrate chemical equation(s) into your responses.

If the question states that it wants equation(s), then you must have them in your answer. So be careful not to forget it!!!

Use diagrams, graphs, or tables where applicable for when you are describing or explaining some things as it can save a lot of space and time.

Full sentences are not necessary and do not restate the question its a waste of time. Giving answers in point form or tables makes clear what you are saying and saves you time.

Try dividing questions into subsections and arranging them in logical order.

Use the amount of marks allocated on a question as a guide to how many bits of important information is needed and always try to write one or two extra bits of information than required.

If a question says 'describe' something and 'discuss' its importance or role in ..., then you need to split the marks between the two parts, say 3 for 'describe' and 3 for 'discuss'. If you feel that it is difficult to give 3 significant facts for the 'discuss' part, perhaps you could do a 4/2 split but a 5/1or 6/0 split would not be answering the question as asked.

When you respond to a question, assume that the marker knows nothing. So try to explain every little thing that you might think is obvious.

If a question contains a high difficulty level verb e.g. evaluate, assess, or justify, always first start off answering the question by defining, outlining, describing, comparing, and explaining the subject (noun) that is stated. For example:
1. define the subject(s)
2. outline it
3. describe or explain it
4. then finally evaluate, assess, or justify it

OR

1. define the subject
2. describe or explain it
3. evaluate, assess, or justify it
4. then move on to the next subject and do the same thing

Always plan before you respond to the complex questions. Use the above point as a guideline for planning.

Finally, when you completed a question, check that you have answered all parts.

good luck :)

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
please change the colour to something other then light blue....

another tip:

don't be restricted by the lines they give, you can use the margin for extra space. (but don't write too much or you might contradict yourself and get 0!!!)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

another tip:

don't be restricted by the lines they give, you can use the margin for extra space. (but don't write too much or you might contradict yourself and get 0!!!)
well, my teacher said that if u don't know what exactly a quesition wants, just write everything u know and make sure u don't contradict...then ur more likely to get the full marks...but then again ur trading off time..so its your choice.:)

N

ND

Originally posted by freaking_out
...but then again ur trading off time..so its your choice.:)
Time is the least of your worries in phys/chem.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I finished my chem trial 45 mins early, and my Bio exam an hour and 10 mins early.... time isn't a worry for me in science exams.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ok.... is that better???

another tip:

i don't know how you can contradict yourself... i know you might write a wrong point, like stating a fact that is not a fact or stating a wrong equation. but contradicting yourself is just like so impossible. thats what i think

Last edited:

forsaken_99

I always seem to write more than the lines. There is just too much information in my head from all that studying.

BTW, most of those tips our teacher gave us in the lead up so at least i know now that he isn't telling porkies.

shadowRRL

HSC
I always got the problem with fully answering the question in order to get full marks. I keep on losing a mark or two in questions thats worth 3 or 4 marks.

help me...

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Originally posted by shadowRRL
I always got the problem with fully answering the question in order to get full marks. I keep on losing a mark or two in questions thats worth 3 or 4 marks.

help me...
write absolutely everything you know that is relevant to the question.

time is never a factor in these exams.

Dont try this if you go to Sydney Boys, chem teachers there dont understand my answer so they marked me down for it. slack asses

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Time is the least of your worries in phys/chem.
time is good in these subjects

and if u look at exemplars, for SOR anyway, they ALL go out of the lines

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)