Some more coordinate geometry questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
25. The line passing through M(a,b) intersects the x-axis at A and the y-axis at B. Find the equation of the line if: (a) M bisects AB, (b) M divides AB in the ratio 2 : 1, (c) M divides AB in the ratio k:l
26. The tangent to a circle is perpendicular to the radius at the point of contact. Use this fact to show that the tangent to x^2+y^2=r^2 at (a,b) is ax+by=r^2
27. Show that the parametric equations x= tcosθ + a and y= tsinθ + b represent a straight line through (a, b) with gradient m = tanθ
Next question is too big to write so here's a picture:image.jpg
Thanks

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
27)
x = tcosθ + a -> cosθ = (x-a)/t
y = tsinθ + b -> sinθ = (y-b)/t

Divide to eliminate 't',

tanθ = (y-b)/(x-a)

Isolate y,

y = (x-a)tanθ + b

Test (a,b): b = (a-a)θ = b, works

So y = (x-a)m + b where m = tanθ as required

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
26) To find the line, we need gradient and a point. We have the point, it is (a,b). We need gradient. We know that the tangent is perp. to the radius at the point of contact. So we find gradient of radius (0,0) to point of contact.

m(radius to point) = b/a

m(tangent) = -a/b

Point-gradient formual yields

y - b = -(a/b)(x-a)

by - b^2 = a^2 - ax

ax + by = a^2 + b^2 = r^2 since (a,b) lies on the circle so a^2 + b^2 = r^2

HSC
Does anyone else have answers for 25, and 28 b) and c)?
I also have this question: Show that every circle that passes through the intersections of the circle x^2 + y^2 = 2 and y=x can be written in the form (x-u)^2+ (y+u)^2 =2(1+u)^2

Last edited:

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I also have this question: Show that every circle that passes through the intersections of the circle x^2 + y^2 = 2 and y=x can be written in the form (x-u)^2+ (y+u)^2 =2(1+u)^2
for question 25, let the equation of the line be y-b=m(x-a), then use the condition that M is the midpoint of A and B to for an equation in m. noting that a and b are constants, solve the equation you can find m, thus the equation of the line.

for the current one, following the idea of k-method used for finding equations of the line passing through the point of intersection of two given lines, we can deduce that any circle passing through the intersections of the circle x^2 + y^2 = 2 and and the line y=x can be written into the general form
( x^2 + y^2 - 2 ) + k ( x - y ) =0. starting from here, you can solve it.

calamebe

HSC
I've got your new question, though are you sure it isn't (x-u)^2+ (y+u)^2 =2(1+u^2)?
http://m.imgur.com/MmuoPz5

HSC
Thanks guys for the help and yes, I wrote the question wrong, sorry. Can anyone do 28 b) and c)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)