• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

some help? (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
does anyone know anything about the wizard of oz and its connection with imaginative journeys as well as the poem La Belle Dame Sans Merci, the short story the happy prince by oscar wilde and the story the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde....if u have any info please post :) thankyou

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
for the wizard of oz: the characters transcend physical limitations for one

also its more important to work out a strong thesis on imaginative journeys rather that 'what is imaginative about this text' .. it gives you a strong conceptual background to work with

chinna

HSC
well i was watching the wizard of oz to do it as part of my related material... but if you look at the characters more closely... like the 3 farmhands are the lion, tinman, and the scarecrow... and their personalities are also personified, the wicked witch of the west is the bike riding freak wanting to take toto and the magician dude is like the wizard, while her aunty is like the 'good' witch if you look closely and compare the characters..

and also the way in which the 'normal life is like in black and white' while the 'imaginative aspect of the journey is in colour'...

the yellow brick road is a physical journey in itself obviously...

maybe paying attention to the song 'somewhere over the rainbow' in the first 30mins or so kinda reveals something about the imaginative journey im not quite sure... i watched like the first 30mins of it and gave up taking some shitty notes on it.. like pay close attention to the lyrics of that song...

well dorothy suspends disbelief by going on such a journey... blah blah blah you can go on for ages with only the first 30 mins i mean its like what you pay attention to...

her aunty says something about dorothy going to a place where she wont cause any trouble... i dont know the exact quote but its something like that and then dorothy repeats someplace where i wont cause some trouble [i think!! :p]

oh well... i hope that helps..

lou_217

HSC
The life changing element of the imaginative journey is evident in The Wizard of Oz. Upon slipping into a dream, Dorothy is transported to the vibrant Oz – a society which relies on a matriarchal structure. Male characters are depicted as being deceptive (the Wizard) and frivolous (Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion) in this feminist allegorical text. Dorothy is told to "follow the yellow brick road" to find her way home. Through her journey in Oz, Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, who does not have a brain, the Tin Man who does not have a heart and Lion who does have any courage. Dorothy realises that these three attributes – intelligence, love and courage – are extremely important in life. Dorothy also realises through her journey that she has not has enough appreciation and understanding for her family and friends in Kansas – "Aunty Em was so good to me and I never appreciated it". Dorothy’s transformation is complete when Glinda, the good witch of the north, informs her that "You’ve always has the power to g back to Kansas...needed to learn it for herself". This is important to the archetypal American myth originating from the early 20th ; knowing one’s true self and finding one’s true home is pivotal in one’s development.

That's what I wrote about it in my essay this year. Hope it's helpful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)