some engineering questions (1 Viewer)

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
ok just some more questions that i havent been able to find the answers for yet:

I would like to do electrical engineering next year but i only do ext 1 maths and i can only manage about 60% in it. am i good enough at maths to do electrical engineering?

Also i know lots of people say that some uni's are better than others but which uni has the most pass-able course? Like even if i could get into a higher engineering course at unsw would i be better off doing one at UTS or newcastle? would the course be easier?

Finally does anyone have an opinion on any cadetships offered through companies? e.g Energy Australia provides an electrical engineering cadetship. I would like to know other peoples opinions on these.

:)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ok just some more questions that i havent been able to find the answers for yet:

I would like to do electrical engineering next year but i only do ext 1 maths and i can only manage about 60% in it. am i good enough at maths to do electrical engineering?
Electrical engineering is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY math, you probably won't survive with an average of 60% (but then again that depends on how hard your school exams are, too many factors).

However, alot of people prosper in uni, so you might be one of those people. Just don't expect electrical engineering to be 'as hard' as 3unit, it'll be 10x harder.
Also i know lots of people say that some uni's are better than others but which uni has the most pass-able course? Like even if i could get into a higher engineering course at unsw would i be better off doing one at UTS or newcastle? would the course be easier?
Relative - choose the Uni you like, consider travel arrangements, atmosphere and what not.

prestige only goes so far IMO. i don't think you should pick a uni based on 'passability' if you're going to hate your time there.
Finally does anyone have an opinion on any cadetships offered through companies? e.g Energy Australia provides an electrical engineering cadetship. I would like to know other peoples opinions on these.
:)
Apply for them, you have nothing to lose

HSC
Im doing electrical at UOW first year:

ext 1 is assumed knowledge so as long as you do your homework and take notes in lectures and keep up with the work it shouldnt be that bad. but this is only first year thus far im sure it will get harder.

Uni depends on you, all courses are relatively similar. The one at UOW is 'passable'.

There are bluescope steel cadetships, you do your uni part time (7 years), your degree is paid for and you earn something like 20k each year.

hope that helps.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Electrical gets fucked up in second year. I got 96/93 for 3u/4u respectively and failed a couple of elec subjects dismally. Then again that's not my passion cause I'm a software kid so eh.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
Electrical gets fucked up in second year. I got 96/93 for 3u/4u respectively and failed a couple of elec subjects dismally. Then again that's not my passion cause I'm a software kid so eh.
ok thats not so good. do u know of people that got average marks in maths in high school but did pass those subjects?

Also, if electrical engineering is too hard for me, maths wise, what would be the most similar but not as hard course?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
I reckon you'll be alright, but you'll definitely need to work for it.

It's definitely possible though, I'm doing elec eng at the moment and i only did 2u maths in high school (got 80ish for it). I'm still hanging onto a credit average in 4th year. Had to work pretty hard in 1st year uni but usyd has a learning centre for those who only did 2u maths and below.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
I reckon you'll be alright, but you'll definitely need to work for it.

It's definitely possible though, I'm doing elec eng at the moment and i only did 2u maths in high school (got 80ish for it). I'm still hanging onto a credit average in 4th year. Had to work pretty hard in 1st year uni but usyd has a learning centre for those who only did 2u maths and below.
hey thank you so much for your story it really does give me hope and i definitely will work hard for it. it helps to know that it is possible.

actually u have all been really helpful to give me a better understanding. thanks :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hey thank you so much for your story it really does give me hope and i definitely will work hard for it. it helps to know that it is possible.

actually u have all been really helpful to give me a better understanding. thanks :)
All in all, if you love it and really want to do it - go for it.

Don't be discouraged by difficulty.

undalay

HSC
I find it mildly amusing that people say those who do general math will fuck up math intensive courses. Yet everyone here is being relatively supportive : )

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
because she does 3unit, not general math.

undalay

HSC
because she does 3unit, not general math.
In otherwords,

It's the amount of background you have in math that matters

not how adept you are at doing maths?
(assuming 3u is some kind of indicator at how adept one is at maths)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
In otherwords,

It's the amount of background you have in math that matters

not how adept you are at doing maths?
(assuming 3u is some kind of indicator at how adept one is at maths)
i guess so

this is of course with the assumption that people pick general as they are unable to 'do' the 2unit course.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
you have a vagina, you get a bonus 5 uai for being a girl
Oh i have no doubts about being able to get into the courses i'm just afraid that they will be too hard. I will try none the less

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Oh i have no doubts about being able to get into the courses i'm just afraid that they will be too hard. I will try none the less
'Women in Engineering', its a popular issue in the engineering society.

Chicks with hard hats :)

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
yeah i get an email from engineers aust weekly going on about women in engineering and issues like that, like i care ffs $$$

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
All types are engineering involve higher levels of mathematics, civil+electrical+mechanic prob more than others though i think. My advice, just go for it.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Diffculty of maths:

1. Electrical, then;

2. Computer
3. Mechanical
4. Structural (Civil)

Although mechanical and civil can be considered to have similar math.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)