solar cells and photocells (1 Viewer)

punk_tartan

HSC
i was looking over notes and on the net, and there is great confusion over teh difference between a solar cell and a photocell - the jacaranda textbook uses the term interchangably as does the unsw site,

but other webistes have conflisting information on the difference between the two.... somone culd help be apreciated ! thanks in advance

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
have a look here for info on solar cells.

now, for photocells, it is an application of the solar cell, where the 'photocell' acts like an amplifier, or switch or detector rather than a power source. this is done through detecting the changes in potential difference across the photocell, then it will register and enact changes.

e.g. a breathalyzer (i think thats what its called) measures the level of alcohol in your breath --> r u over the alcohol limit for driving, etc...

you breath through the tube. heavy alcohol particles will prevent some of the light travelling to the photocell, and hence change the voltage, since not as much light is hitting the photocell. the level of alcohol in your breath is measured by the proportional change in potential difference, and it registers as a reading on the instrument meter.

that was just one example.

hope this helps, M.D.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Solar cells much more energy from light than photocells into electrical energy. But solar cells have only 4% efficency, that means they only use 4% of light energy.

Photocells use even less than that, but can be used to detect changes in ambient light which triggers the electrical circuits ...

As far as I know ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)