Software Eng's or Comp Sci's or Any comp course ! (1 Viewer)

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Are you two (cyrax83 & enak) doing 1311 or 1411, 1011 or 1711?
i'm doing math 1131 (1A) and discrete math 1081, and comp 1011. comp 1011 isn't too bad, i'm just fed up with all this maths. and then i've got finite next semester (implying i pass discrete which i probably wont).

I was looking at what courses i could transfer into mid-semester and it seems to be hardly any for unsw . it's basically all the engineering only, which is what i want to get out of ! :(

I dont want to wait till next year, i dont know what i'd do for a year, and the course cut-offs will rise by next year, and my UAI isn't that competitive so i dont know what to do.

I was thinking that i could transfer into computer science, and i'd get some free electives to pick some business stuff to get some variety in there but computer science seems to have more maths then seng so i ruled that one out

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Computer Science only requires MATH1131 and MATH1081

So if you can get through first year then there isn't anymore pure mathematics topics you need to take.

Hopefully I can too :(

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
dont comp sci ppl have to also do math 1B ?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes they do, that's why I said MATH1131 rather than 1A and 1B

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I hate to say this but.. you use quite a bit of discrete maths in computing. :)

Usually you can google it though, you don't need to know things like formulas back to front.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Why is math's even a pre-requisite for computing?

Are we going to be using complex numbers/limits and weird crazy formula's i've never seen before in our computing?
hehe...yes! But like pb said the maths isn't actually that critical...most of it probably won't come up again. But seeing you're coming out with a science or engineering degree you'd be expected to have some tertiary mathematics education.

u can transfer to bioinformatics or biomed or somethin where the harder math is replaced by science subjects. thats if u like science i mean.
Unfortunately, bioinformatics and biomed actually have even more maths. Trust me on this one.

dont comp sci ppl have to also do math 1B ?
Yes they do, that's why I said MATH1131 rather than 1A and 1B
MATH1131 = Math 1A
MATH1231 = Math 1B

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Unfortunately, bioinformatics and biomed actually have even more maths. Trust me on this one.
Oh crap.. and I was thinking transferring to MBioMedE/Seng would be good and free of maths.. (I like the masters part).

Ive been thinking for a while, and I think a really good combo with Seng is music (B Music). But supposedly you can only combine with arts or science.. can anyone confirm?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun
Ive been thinking for a while, and I think a really good combo with Seng is music (B Music). But supposedly you can only combine with arts or science.. can anyone confirm?
Apparently (and also commerce), but you can still combine with arts majoring in music.

Hot & Spicy

Im was thinking about doing Software Engineering next year?
After all the maths and everything thing would you recommend it? Or should i stay away?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Hot & Spicy
Im was thinking about doing Software Engineering next year?
After all the maths and everything thing would you recommend it? Or should i stay away?
The maths is only relatively at the beginning of the program. So don't let it worry you too much.

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
apparently discreet and stat comes into binf in the 2nd year.

damn it. ! no good.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hey guys, like how hard is "discrete maths" i hear u all blabbering about it all the time.. must be really difficult and realli hard to achieve good marks in...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by Inhuman
Go outside and bang your head against a brick wall. Then you'll be close to feeling the pain and frustration discrete causes
Couldn't agree more, except please wear head protection for your safety :)

One of the reason discrete seems so hard is because it's hard to understand, and a chapter of it requires you to know many proofs from first year uni maths to do well at.

And to make things worse, they don't give examples unless you come to the lecture. And the homeworks have no worked solutions. Talk about evilness.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Mm I just found out that Accounting (!) is a core subject for Comp Eng.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun

And to make things worse, they don't give examples unless you come to the lecture.
Hasn't stopped you :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)