Votes: 5 26.3%
  • B. IT @ USYD

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

witide

HSC
I concur. Engineering and UNSW is a pretty deadly combination.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
As much as the NCSSer in me would vote for BIT @ USyd just because you'd have James Curran as a lecturer, I put BSEng@UNSW slightly higher on my own UAC preferences.

LordPc

HSC
IT at uts does not look like a BSc degree in the slightest. its totally a BIT courses disguised as a science.

usyd link doesnt work

SEng at unsw is half ok since you get to do some actual computing toward the end there after the first two years where you get killed with teamwork assignments

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
IT at uts does not look like a BSc degree in the slightest. its totally a BIT courses disguised as a science.

usyd link doesnt work

SEng at unsw is half ok since you get to do some actual computing toward the end there after the first two years where you get killed with teamwork assignments
Link fixed, sorry.

UNSW seems to be winning I guess.

Thanks for replies so far everyone.

LordPc

HSC
Isnt that mainly to do with hardware?
you have to take a microprocessors course in 2nd year where you learn some hardware stuff, but thats it (unless you decide to pick hardware electives in 3rd year)

do know that BIT, SEng and Comp sci arent that similar. bit deals with business, SEng deals with projects and people and comp sci deals with programming and algorithms

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you have to take a microprocessors course in 2nd year where you learn some hardware stuff, but thats it (unless you decide to pick hardware electives in 3rd year)

do know that BIT, SEng and Comp sci arent that similar. bit deals with business, SEng deals with projects and people and comp sci deals with programming and algorithms
You sir, are wonderful, perfect answer to my problems.

Aeriff

HSC
It really depends what you want. Where do you see yourself in say, 5 years time? That's a big deciding factor depending on which 'type' of IT-related degree you do.

I'm doing BScIT @ UTS and I'm not really enjoying the subjects this semester. Having said that, I get a fair bit of freedom in elective choice so further semesters should be more enjoyable. (FWIW, I got offered SEng at UTS as well and probably would have taken it, but turned it down due to the maths.)

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Urgh... my experiences with VBA in my computing subject has put me off anything to do with programming.

But the UNSW degree seems the best.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends what you want. Where do you see yourself in say, 5 years time? That's a big deciding factor depending on which 'type' of IT-related degree you do.
I honestly have no idea...

a few people have suggested investment banking, but i have no idea tbh.

I'm doing BScIT @ UTS and I'm not really enjoying the subjects this semester. Having said that, I get a fair bit of freedom in elective choice so further semesters should be more enjoyable.)
hmm, i see.

Edit: Since i'm lost again,

which degree is best to have a decent knowledge of networking/web programming for corporations along with maybe some ecommerce systems.

LordPc

HSC
which degree is best to have a decent knowledge of networking/web programming for corporations along with maybe some ecommerce systems.
you can learn that stuff in comp sci and seng along with a bunch of other stuff too, but if thats all you really want to learn, then sounds like BIT to me.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
alrite, it's between UTS IT and UNSW S. Eng.

Comp Science/Comp Engineering looks a bit like it's too much in depth/different field.

Will decide, thankyou :D

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Urgh... my experiences with VBA in my computing subject has put me off anything to do with programming.

But the UNSW degree seems the best.
VBA tends to make everyone feel that way

HSC
Software Engineering is a better path :) it open up a much more board field than I.T. plus if u work for the right cmopany u can travel around with the expensence paid for you ^_^ (i only heard tho, still studying since it my 1st year, but it awsome ^_^)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)