software engineering-is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, i just wanna know how the market for software engineering is going- is it really worth doin' it, or should we choose somethin' else?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ALL courses will allow you to get jobs.

The main thing is to do something you are interested in.
If you are interested in it you wil do good, thus get a good job.

I mean, its not like every lawyer out there has a good job and high pay.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, i just wanna know how the market for software engineering is going- is it really worth doin' it, or should we choose somethin' else?
You SHOULD do it!!!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
You SHOULD do it!!!
yeah, i rem. u telling me at the start of this year that the market is gonna pick up, so how is it goin' now?

yeah, anyways i think i mite do software with another degree. so i have 2 more questions:

1. which double degree combination gives u more of a chance to get a job and which combination gives u more "highly paid" job ;) ?

2. yeah, is software in uni, like writing lots of essays (like sdd) or is it more hard core coding and mathematics type? :D

thanx. :)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
do B sci/B com and major in computer science for the science degree. that way you can fall back on com if the market doesnt favour those in the software industry.

EDIT: a friend is in seng (transfering to comp sci) and from what i gather its alot of hard core programing and mathematics.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
well they're pretty similar its just with seng you get industry experience. You decide below are the Program structures for both degrees.

B Sc (Computer Science) - Program Structure

Year 1

Computer Science has mathematics and computing courses in year 1, representing five out of eight courses for a full-time student. Electives are chosen from areas such as Physics, Information Systems, Chemistry, Philosophy, Psychology, Geography, and Economics.

COMP1011 Computing 1A (6 UOC)

Or

COMP1711 Higher Computing 1A (6 UOC)
COMP1021 Computing 1B (6 UOC)

Or

COMP1721 Higher Computing 1B (6 UOC)
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)

Or

MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)

Or

MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics (6 UOC)

Plus 6 UOC of Electives

Electives are chosen from areas such as Physics, Information Systems, Chemistry, Philosophy, Psychology, Geography, and Economics.

Year 2

Three of eight courses in year 2 comprise core computing. The remainder are electives. Common electives include mathematics (many choices), more first year courses (maximum 12uoc), material that follows on from first-year electives and information systems.

COMP2011 Data Organisation (6 UOC)

Or

COMP2711 Higher Data Organisation (6 UOC)
COMP2021 Digital System Structures (6 UOC)
COMP2041 Software Construction (6 UOC)

Plus 6 UOC of General Education

Year 3

Between five and seven computing courses (selected from around ten available courses) are taken in year 3. Students proceeding to the Honours year must take at least six level 3 courses in computing or other disciplines.

With the approval of the Program Director or nominee, students in this program wishing to fulfil the requirements for a major in a second discipline, as well as the Computer Science requirements, may substitute, a course from the other discipline for one of the level 3/4 Computer Science courses. Students may also select electives from COMP9xxx courses having met the required prerequisites.

COMP3111 Software Engineering (6 UOC)
COMP3121 Algorithms & Programming Tech (6 UOC)
COMP3131 Programming Languages & Compil (6 UOC)
COMP3151 Foundations of Concurrency (6 UOC)
COMP3211 Computer Architecture (6 UOC)
COMP3231 Operating Systems (6 UOC)
COMP3311 Database Systems (6 UOC)
COMP3331 Computer Networks&Applications (6 UOC)
COMP3411 Artificial Intelligence (6 UOC)
COMP3421 Computer Graphics (6 UOC)
COMP3511 Human Computer Interaction (6 UOC)

Year 4

Year 4 Honours (Optional) COMPAH3978

Computer Science Honours takes one-year full-time or two-years part-time of study.

Normally, students are expected to have attained an average mark of 65 (according to New South Student calculations) to qualify for entry to the honours year. Students who do not meet this expectation may be admitted in special circumstances. Students who have graduated with a three-year computer science degree from the University of NSW or another university can apply for honours. Application forms are available from the Student Office of Computer Science and Engineering in K17 G01. Detailed information about the program is available at the Honours web-site at: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs4914/

Formal notification of acceptance into the honours program will be mailed on the day following the University's official notification of results.

Computer Science Honours students must at least complete 18uoc level 4 elective courses. Students may substitute level 4 courses from other schools with the permission of the Program Director.

Or

COMP4918 Thesis Part A

and

COMP4919 Thesis Part B

Plus

Computing Electives

Computer Science Honours students must at least complete 18uoc level 4 elective courses. Students may substitute level 4 courses from other schools with the permission of the Program Director.

B E (Software Engineering) - Program Structure

Stage 1

INFS1603 Business Data Management (6 UOC)
INFS1611 Requirements Engineering (3 UOC)
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics (6 UOC)
MATH2400 Finite Mathematics (3 UOC)
SENG1010 Software Eng Workshop 1A (3 UOC)
SENG1020 Software Eng Workshop 1B (3 UOC)

And ONE of:

COMP1011 Computing 1A (6 UOC)
COMP1711 Higher Computing 1A (6 UOC)

And ONE of:

MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
COMP1021 Computing 1B (6 UOC)
COMP1721 Higher Computing 1B (6 UOC)

Stage 1 - Free Electives (6 UOC)

Stage 2

COMP2021 Digital System Structures (6 UOC)
COMP2110 Software System Specification (3 UOC)
COMP2411 Logic and Logic Programming (6 UOC)
INFS2603 Systems Analysis and Design (6 UOC)
MATH2859 Prob, Stats and Information (3 UOC)
SENG2010 Software Eng Workshop 2A (3 UOC)
SENG2020 Software Eng Workshop 2B (3 UOC)

And ONE of:

COMP2011 Data Organisation (6 UOC)
COMP2711 Higher Data Organisation (6 UOC)

General Education (6 UOC)

Stage 2 - Free Electives (6 UOC )

Stage 3

COMP3141 Software Sys Des&Implementat'n (6 UOC)
INFS2607 Business Data Networks (6 UOC)
SENG3010 Software Eng Workshop 3A (3 UOC)
SENG3020 Software Eng Workshop 3B (3 UOC)
SE Electives (24 UOC)

General Education (6 UOC)

Stage 4

SENG4910 Thesis Part A (6 UOC)
SENG4911 Thesis Part B (12 UOC)
SENG4921 Professional Issues and Ethics (6 UOC)
SE Electives (24 UOC)

Electives

The 8 electives (48 UOC) for stages 3 and 4 may include any third and foruth stage COMP, INFS and 3rd year MATHS courses. Electives and more information can be found at www.cse.unsw.edu.au/seng.

seng is more management/design based and compsci is programming hope that helps...

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
there are always more options. my sister did software engineering at unsw and now she's doing her masters in commerce. you can erm add to your skills, like you're not locked into anything.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Sorry for kind of abondoning this thread (I've been busy)

Originally posted by
freaking_out

yeah, anyways i think i mite do software with another degree. so i have 2 more questions:

1. which double degree combination gives u more of a chance to get a job and which combination gives u more "highly paid" job ;) ?

2. yeah, is software in uni, like writing lots of essays (like sdd) or is it more hard core coding and mathematics type? :D
1. Available double degrees: BE/BA, BE/BSci, BE/BCom, BE/MEngSci. Not sure if they increase the money side at all ...

2. See my next answer

but isn't software engineering and computer science like different? :)
The main diffrence is the compolsery INFS and SENG subjects in Soft Eng. These are like your SDD subjects from High School. They make up around a 1/4 of the compolsery subjects, the rest being MATH and COMP (hard core programming).

Also, Soft Eng has a rigid structure, whereas Comp Sci has lots of electives. But we do take the same 1st and 2nd year subjects (accept that the INFS/SENG is replaced by electives for Comp Sci).

NB: This is all from a UNSW perspective.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, i know this mite b dumb: but does INFS stand for "information systems"?

and anyways, what is the difference like employment wise b/w a software engineer and "computer science person"? i.e when they come out of the degree what is the difference b/w them?

and lastly, how hard r those "1/4 part" of software engineering- would i b able to pass them, bcoz i know i'll prolly go shit in subjects like sdd. :eek:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
hey, i know this mite b dumb: but does INFS stand for "information systems"?

Yes, INFS stands for INFormation Systems.

and anyways, what is the difference like employment wise b/w a software engineer and "computer science person"? i.e when they come out of the degree what is the difference b/w them?

Well, one is a BE and the other is a BSci. Also, Soft Eng is more business orientated, where as Comp Sci leans towards reserch (not that this is in any way set in stone).

and lastly, how hard r those "1/4 part" of software engineering- would i b able to pass them, bcoz i know i'll prolly go shit in subjects like sdd. :eek:

If you can produce good "waffle" you can pass them ...

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
ok, thanx, so lets say i wanted to do software wif Bachelor of science- how many subjects am i allowed to major in can i combine wif BSc (major in physics/nanotechnology?).

btw, which one ru combining with Mclake?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
ok, thanx, so lets say i wanted to do software wif Bachelor of science- how many subjects am i allowed to major in can i combine wif BSc (major in physics/nanotechnology?).

btw, which one ru combining with Mclake?
Not sure if you can double major.

I don't do a combined degree ....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
its not a matter of whether there are 50 million job opportunities out there, its a matter of how happy you would be to do it as a course, and then as a career..
or theoretically thats how it should be..

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
its not a matter of whether there are 50 million job opportunities out there, its a matter of how happy you would be to do it as a course, and then as a career..
or theoretically thats how it should be..
yeah, i would like it as a career, but i just wanted to know abt. the job opportunities, coz that is like a secondary factor to my decision abt. which course to do.

also, i was concerned abt. software engineering, bcoz, i always here from my friends of how they know all these ppl. who did SEng but yet, they haven't found a job....:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)