Society and Culture study thread (1 Viewer)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Haven't seen one of these yet so let's start one.

You know how it works, answer the previous question and then ask one yourself.

PLEASE TRY to only ask subjects for the core (e.g. continuity and change and stuff you needed to know from prelim like social-cultural literacy) - option topic questions suck because we all do different ones.

Ok I'll start easy:

Differentiate between micro and macro world

KnifeySpoony

HSC
micro world: consists of inner peers, family, school etc. Involves personal experiences, ideas, reflections etc.
macro: government media, public knowledge, laws.
Next, straight from the syllabus:
"identify the nature of social and cultural continuity and change"

Sadiah

HSC
micro world: consists of inner peers, family, school etc. Involves personal experiences, ideas, reflections etc.
macro: government media, public knowledge, laws.
Next, straight from the syllabus:
"identify the nature of social and cultural continuity and change"
The nature of continuity and change can be adequately identified with reference to a particular country. However, in general terms, the concepts of continuity and change are commonly used in our society, but for many of us they are hard to define. These terms share the feature of time being a determining factor. It is the opportunity of time that allows a society to develop and modify tiself, that is, to change. Likewise, when we observe a certain culture of community over a period of time we can observe clear continuities. Henceforth, Continuity refers to the notion of a repetition of patterns of thinking and behaviour. It may also refer to social trends that have occured over a long period of time. On the other hand, change refers to an understanding that values, beliefs, culture and social norms develop and modify over time.

Can't be stuffed to write more.

Question: Outline the interaction between environment and time.

In adition (I personally want to know the answer to this),
Is a case study a quantitative or qualitative methodology? - thanks.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Question: Outline the interaction between environment and time.
Environment refers to physical, natural and social surroundings that affect individuals. Time refers to the way that society, environment, persons and cultures stay the same (social continuity) or change (social change). The environment is subject to social change and continuity in almost every respect, as most surroundings are rarely static. For example, the natural environment all around the world has experienced decay due to global warming which has been most evident in the past century

Sorry that was a massive guess, i'm probably wrong, feel free to correct me

In adition (I personally want to know the answer to this),
Is a case study a quantitative or qualitative methodology?

Can be both, depending if your using numbers.

What is social and cultural literacy?

Sadiah

HSC
Thanks.

What is social and cultural literacy? [/quote]

Social and cultural literacy refers to a developmental process that requires a person to synthesise personal experience and public knowledge of both the micro and macro worlds.
Moreover, a socially and culturally literate person:
- is interested in, observes, and asks questions about, the macro and micro worlds
- shows critical discernment towards the media
- is capable of informed decision making and takes considered action on social issues
- empathises with people of different societies and cultures
- researches effectively and efficiently
- communicates effectively
- understands continuity and change and the implications for the future in a global context
- shows concern for the welfare, rights and dignity of all people
- is self aware, with a sense of personal, social and cultural identity

Q: Differentiate between globalisation and industrialisation.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Answer: Globalisation is the process of the world becoming largely interconnected. Individuals and nations find themselves influenced from a distance. Industrialisation, however, is the process of social and cultural change as they are occurring in the scope of modernisation.

Question: What is the impact of religious economy on society?

Sadiah

HSC
Answer: Globalisation is the process of the world becoming largely interconnected. Individuals and nations find themselves influenced from a distance. Industrialisation, however, is the process of social and cultural change as they are occurring in the scope of modernisation.

Personally, I do not know the answer to your question.

However, does this question relate to the syllabus? Coz I aint know the answer to it.

Care to elaborate i.e. what does your question actually mean? Try to dumb it down a bit, or answer it yourself =] May be I could learn that way too :tongue:

Hey!!!

HSC

....Which syllabus dot point is that? :O.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
....Which syllabus dot point is that? :O.
Yeh I've never heard of it either

Well it sorta put a hold on this thread and she hasn't come back to answer it yet, so let's just move on to another question meanwhile until she comes back.

I'll go, something easy :p

What is a survey? Identify advantages and disadvantages of it and provide a situation where it may be used.

epicmel

HSC
Survey is a process of conducting a study from a representative sample of a specific population which can utilise different instruments such as observation, interview or a questionnaire during the research process.

Advantages: Uses a variety of methodologies. Allows researcher to understand specific populations.

Disadvantages: May lack personal experience and depth of knowledge (if questionnaire uses close ended questions)

Can be used to investigate women in the workforce.

Describe the impact of Globalisation in the macro world.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Describe the impact of Globalisation in the macro world.
Globalisation has caused the creation of a 'global culture' where cultural heritage, values and customs all over the world have begun to decline in significance, overridden by consumerism and western ideology. This has caused:
- Fundamentalist uprising - Especially in radical Muslim countries in their attempt to resist change. Conflict has resulted
- An increasing disparity between rich and poor with socio-economic status being the prime social differentiation factor
- Consumerism and capitalism being the epitome of global conduct. Every day activities are being commodified (that is - made for sale)
- Advantages such as increased range of goods and increased leisure time

ETC there's heaps XD

Trying to do this without looking at my notes :p

What is the role of power and authority in social and cultural continuity and change?

lucymowat

HSC

What is the role of power and authority in social and cultural continuity and change?
Those with power and figures of authority tend to have more control over the pace and direction of change. For instance, governments have the power to implement policies in order to facilitate change, as they tend to represent the rest of the population's desire for changes - and since they have bargaining power, they can use this to retain or gain popularity and further status and power

Is modernisation inevitable?

Sadiah

HSC
Those with power and figures of authority tend to have more control over the pace and direction of change. For instance, governments have the power to implement policies in order to facilitate change, as they tend to represent the rest of the population's desire for changes - and since they have bargaining power, they can use this to retain or gain popularity and further status and power

Is modernisation inevitable?
Yes, because the world reflects a move towards these processions in the system called globalisation. The influence and and demands of the World Bank to follow a western style economy to gain access to load funds. Technology is becoming so much more prolific and affordable that everyone is exposed - economic base of many countries.
No, in the sense that some counties are conomically and culturally strong enough to maintain their independence from globalisation. Cuba is still an independent country despite its proximity to the US.
Overall, the factors contributing to modernisation beign inevitablle outweigh the factors arguing against it.

Q: Outline a theory which can be used to explain social and cultural change.

THEweirdness

HSC
Environment refers to physical, natural and social surroundings that affect individuals. Time refers to the way that society, environment, persons and cultures stay the same (social continuity) or change (social change). The environment is subject to social change and continuity in almost every respect, as most surroundings are rarely static. For example, the natural environment all around the world has experienced decay due to global warming which has been most evident in the past century

Sorry that was a massive guess, i'm probably wrong, feel free to correct me

[/B]Can be both, depending if your using numbers.

What is social and cultural literacy?
a case study is QUALITATIVE.
quantitavtive is like, where you have research that will get you heaps of information, like a survey, but isn't always helpful
qualitative means that the information is more in-depth.
sorry if this doesn't help much. i'm not very good at explaining things

Sadiah

HSC
a case study is QUALITATIVE.
quantitavtive is like, where you have research that will get you heaps of information, like a survey, but isn't always helpful
qualitative means that the information is more in-depth.
sorry if this doesn't help much. i'm not very good at explaining things
yeah lol I know what qualitative and quantitative methodologies authentically mean.

Yeah thanks but I found out, thanks to one of the previous posts, that a case study can be classified as a combinational methodology; that is, it can be either quantitative or qualitative depending on the way in which it is being utilized.

Thanks anyway mate =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)