Social Uni? (1 Viewer)

sugartits

HSC
Just out of curiosity, I heard that Notre Dame is a pretty tame uni, like no one there goes to or has house parties and other social events like some of the other uni's possible due to its catholic/conservative nature?

Personally I think that's rubbish, just wondering what a current student thinks?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, honestly, Notre Dame is shit

But since you're so close you can just do stuff with people from UTS/USyd.

enoilgam

HSC
Just out of curiosity, I heard that Notre Dame is a pretty tame uni, like no one there goes to or has house parties and other social events like some of the other uni's possible due to its catholic/conservative nature?

Personally I think that's rubbish, just wondering what a current student thinks?
Yeah, honestly, Notre Dame is shit

But since you're so close you can just do stuff with people from UTS/USyd.
You just want to bait me dont you. It isnt a shit uni, but the social life isnt as good as it is at USyd or UTS simply because ND doesnt have that many students.

To be honest, religion doesnt really play much of a role at ND - one of the biggest misconceptions about the uni is that it is socially conservative and strongly religious. I mean, the extent of religion at ND is maybe an email or two a month about optional religious gatherings, a requirement that you do a couple hours worth of Theology and an optional mass prior to graduation. If you take those things out, you wouldnt even be able to tell that it's Catholic - it isnt like a Catholic school.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never heard of its social life. I mean that's probably because it's a small student size so it won't have as much going on just from a pure mathematical availability of funds and people to do things with :p

I hear stacks about UTS/Macq/UWS/USYD/UNSW events all the time. But ND, nah.

But going to a uni doth not automatically make your social life anyway, that's important to remember.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You just want to bait me dont you. It isnt a shit uni, but the social life isnt as good as it is at USyd or UTS simply because ND doesnt have that many students.

To be honest, religion doesnt really play much of a role at ND - one of the biggest misconceptions about the uni is that it is socially conservative and strongly religious. I mean, the extent of religion at ND is maybe an email or two a month about optional religious gatherings, a requirement that you do a couple hours worth of Theology and an optional mass prior to graduation. If you take those things out, you wouldnt even be able to tell that it's Catholic - it isnt like a Catholic school.
Yep, I was baiting lol

But I have to say it's probs more religious just due to some of the students.
E.g. This guy who went to my school goes to Notre Dame, and he has gained a few terribad fb friends. He will write some political-based status, and then they will all make racist/homoist/xenophobic/cuntish comments and stuff just because people have a different religion to them.
But I think they might be internationals
They are also the stupidest living organisms I have ever observed
^_^
<3
#UNDS

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never heard of its social life. I mean that's probably because it's a small student size so it won't have as much going on just from a pure mathematical availability of funds and people to do things with :p

I hear stacks about UTS/Macq/UWS/USYD/UNSW events all the time. But ND, nah.

But going to a uni doth not automatically make your social life anyway, that's important to remember.
The last line is too true.

UWS Events were practically unheard of before this year for me
(and non-med events are still hard to come by)
but now there are more and more things going on with the uni because all of the smart and enthusiastic kids are starting to go there

But I doubt that will happen to UNDS
At least not soon

enoilgam

HSC
Yep, I was baiting lol

But I have to say it's probs more religious just due to some of the students.
In my experience, most of the people I knew at uni were either athiest/agonistic/indifferent to religion. Honestly, I'd say USyd's left wing values are more ingrained in the uni than ND's Catholic values.

The last line is too true.
My social life during uni hardly ever related to uni.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In my experience, most of the people I knew at uni were either athiest/agonistic/indifferent to religion. Honestly, I'd say USyd's left wing values are more ingrained in the uni than ND's Catholic values.

My social life during uni hardly ever related to uni.
Unis tend to be way more left than the general population(it's expected!)-but I wouldn't say USYD is the most left at all given there is a decently noticeable membership to the Australian Liberals society. Other unis=much stronger left, though some unis are fairly politically apathetic. USYD care a stack load about politics though.

For some people, they will want to seek a uni based social life though that's why they ask about it on these forums. Your personality is more for small/chill gatherings than big raging uni parties.

Imho, unis with strong social lives are most attractive to people who move for uni as they won't have old HS friends or family at all at uni. Plus, it's the best thing about uni because who even goes to lectures :p

enoilgam

HSC
Apethetic pretty much describes the ND population quite well I think. Like I said, the culture at ND isnt conservative nor is it focused on religion at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)