Social + Political Influences on Theories of Evolution (1 Viewer)

Guernica

HSC
For the life of me, I cannot find anything about social or political influences on theories of evolution for this dot point:
analyse information from secondary sources on the historical development of theories of evolution and use available evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments

Religion would be a social influence... what else?

fat_penguin

HSC
also consider Hitler who argued for a supreme aryan race, stuff like breeding championship horses, and also that the rich favoured evolution cause it rid them of their social responsibility to the poor..

also remember that "survival of the fittest" was a phrase coined by marx (i think) and darwin never said those words..

and there was this famous case in America, i cant remember the name, but some dude was charged with teaching evolution in his class, but then the supreme court ruled he could teach evolution.. so that was like an important turning point thing.. does anyone know the name of the case? i'll try and find out for you..

unfortunately i dont have my books anymore, one of my friends has them so i cant look up any secondary sources for you, but maybe if you can find that case that'll help? and some websites on hitler etc

Guernica

HSC
But isn't it like.. Hitler was influenced by theories of evolution... he didn't influence the theories.. I don't understand.

:(

fat_penguin

HSC
maybe it's more of a perspective thing, how people viewed it after it was like twisted in such a way.. actually that's a good question, i didn't question that when the teacher taught us.. seemed to make sense of the time =P

Illena

Jakarta (hee hee I'm not in Australia ^^)
HSC
Please note that this my answer for the same question given by my teacher. I paraphrased it from some sources

Darwin’s theory of evolution had brought great effect to social and political life.
The impact of theory of evolution to society was enormous. The social effect of Darwin’s theory including religion debate of Darwinian theory versus Creation theory. The believers of Creation theory at that time are the Christians and they react negatively agains the theory of evolution. Darwin’s theory is supported by some scientist but other were opposing it. However, the rest of the world are starting to ask which is the right one, the Creation theory that based on the what the Bible said about God created everything as the way it is, or the Darwinian theory of evolution. Later, Essays and Reviews by seven liberal Anglican theologians declared that miracles were irrational (and supported the Origin). People started to receive Darwin’s theory, and after some times it is accepted scientifically. In response to the wide scientific acceptance of the theory of evolution, many religions have formally or informally synthesized the scientific and religious viewpoints. Several important 20th century scientists (Fisher, Dobzhansky) whose work confirmed Darwin's theory, were also Christians who saw no incompatibility between their experimental and theoretical confirmations of evolution and their faith. Some religions have adopted a theistic evolution viewpoint, where God provides a divine spark that ignited the process of evolution and (or), where God has guided evolution in one way or another
One of the most famous debate of the Biblical Creation theory against Darwin’s theory of evolution is the Huxley-Wilverforce debate.Thomas Huxley was a scientist that support Darwin’s theory, where Samuel Wilberforce was a Bishop who stood against the Theory of Evolution. This debate ended up with humiliating each other, but until now the debate or Darwin’s theory vs Creation theory is still going on. However, nowaday there are scientific proofs against Darwin’s theory of evolution.
The effect of Darwin’s theory is not stopped only to religion impact. Some groups of people borrowed Darwins’ idea and proposes proposed that societies and nations could evolve according to the principles of biological evolution, just as populations of plants and animals did. This is the Social Darwinism theory. The Social Darwinism theory is not Darwin’s theory but a reaction of Darwin’s theory. One of the Social Darwinism is Herbert Spencer. He proposed that human life, as well as animal, is a struggle in which there are survival of the fittest. . Although this sociological view was not supported by evidence, it rose to prominence in the late nineteenth and the early twentieth century and had an impact on political and social thought.
Social darwinism was also used to justify imperialism in which a ‘fitter’ group – government, nation, society, and race – extended its influence over a weaker group. Was was seen by supporters of social Darwinism as a justifiable competitive struggle between nations, an application of the survival of the fittest
Karl Marx, the father of communism, was greatly influenced by Darwin’s theory. He wrote of the struggle of the proletariat and the rich ones. He considered this as struggle for existance, same as the Social Darwinism theory. Even if Marx’ theory is much more influenced by the situation at that time, Darwin’s theory also give impact to the birth of communism concept.
Hitler is also influenced by Darwin’s idea about the natural selection, where the fittest will survive. He drived this idea to produce a pure, superior Aryan race that he believed is the fittest to survive. This thinking had caused the life of million Jewish people.

Illena

Jakarta (hee hee I'm not in Australia ^^)
HSC
Guernica said:
But isn't it like.. Hitler was influenced by theories of evolution... he didn't influence the theories.. I don't understand.

:(
it's like this:

u know about Darwin said that the superior organism will survive, right? (survival of the fittest)
Hitler believed that the Aryans are superior because he is so fond of the Aryans so he thinks that the Jews must be disposed to reduce the struggle of existance for the aryans.

Get it?

Well if you don't, maybe Biology in COntext will be a great deal ^^
*forgot the page, tommorrow I'll get it in my locker*

Last edited:

$harleen88

HSC
The Excell book is pretty good to Social n political influences...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
However, nowaday there are scientific proofs against Darwin’s theory of evolution.
I think it's wrong to label them 'scientific proofs', it's just that evidence has now been put up against evolution, none of which is accepted by any reputable scientific journal and the debate amongst biological scientists is extremely limited. Generally it's Fundamentalist Christian scientist vs Other scientists, including christians.

Some groups of people borrowed Darwins’ idea and proposes proposed that societies and nations could evolve according to the principles of biological evolution, just as populations of plants and animals did.
This is not the result of anything new that darwin put forward... the idea of selectively breeding horses to get better, stronger horses was around long before darwin.

Karl Marx, the father of communism, was greatly influenced by Darwin’s theory. He wrote of the struggle of the proletariat and the rich ones. He considered this as struggle for existance, same as the Social Darwinism theory. Even if Marx’ theory is much more influenced by the situation at that time, Darwin’s theory also give impact to the birth of communism concept.
Hitler is also influenced by Darwin’s idea about the natural selection, where the fittest will survive. He drived this idea to produce a pure, superior Aryan race that he believed is the fittest to survive. This thinking had caused the life of million Jewish people.
Ugh extremely contentious... I have my problems with this, but I'm too lazy to list them - the student can find them for me :p

Last edited:

AG360

HSC
u GUYS ROCK THANKz FOR THE INFO I couldn'tfind anythin on it until i found this site
GOd BLESS U ALL N I HOPE THAT U ACHEIVE UR GOALS

ange310

HSC
Hey, the trial about the teacher was called the Scope trial... his name was John Scopes, and he was from Tennessee... it was in 1925.... he did, in the end though, unfortunately lose the trial, but the controversy it caused caused alot of media and public controversy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)