So, you have chosen your subjects... (1 Viewer)

deterministic

HSC
Given the sheer number of threads started on timetabling, I am writing this thread to answer some questions on what happens next, especially with regards to getting prepared to start (especially in regards to textbooks). Hopefully people may find what they need here so they wont have to create multiple threads for the same questions. Feel free to add anything that I missed or correct anything.

First of all, congrats in getting into UNSW and hopefully by now you should know what courses you will be undertaking. In the near future, you may start to think about preparing for your studies.

TIP 1:Get your UNSW student card BEFORE O-Week to avoid waiting in line during O-Week (Which is what most UNSW students do). For this, you do to FM-Assist, which is near the library and Matthews theatre in the Upper Campus of UNSW.

TEXTBOOKS
The Semester 1 2011 textlist is out:
http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/textlist.html
- Just enter your course code to find out what books you will need.

PRESCRIBED: This is the textbook used for this course. More often than not, it is necessary to obtain a copy (electronic or hard) as lecturers may base tutorials and readings from chapters in the book.

RECOMMENDED: Good extra resource to have, but you don't need it. Only buy it if you have no better use for money.

Obtaining textbooks
Textbooks can be purchased in the UNSW bookshop on campus, or you can obtain second hand textbooks here:
- http://textbookexchange.com.au/content.php/25.html (Use firefox browser for this site cos chrome doesn't work for some reason)
- Second hand bookshop on campus - they offer 75% of normal bookshop prices, however, selection is limited (depends on who actually sells their textbooks to the shop)
- Plenty of advertising boards around UNSW.

If you choose to lug a laptop/netbook/ipad around, you can easily search for ebooks online.

It is best to wait till your first lecture before purchasing any textbooks. Some of the prescribed textbooks are not actually necessary, as the school may provide course packs (not listed on the textlist) which are very sufficient.

Eg. For those doing MATH1131/1141/1151, you do not need Calculus One and Several Variables by Salas, as the school provides course packs which are sufficient.

Is it ok to get an older edition of the textbook?
For subjects like maths, engineering and sciences, there should be little differences in editions so it should be fine (Maths and science facts don't change dramatically). For subjects like accounting, economics, law, where recent data, trends and legislations are important, you will probably need the newest edition. Consult the lecturer just to be sure.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the tips!

For the textbooks.. if the textbook used is the 'Australian version', would the e-book version be sufficient?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Thanks for the tips!

For the textbooks.. if the textbook used is the 'Australian version', would the e-book version be sufficient?
Is the ebook the 'Australian version' though? Probably not as most people can't be bothered pirating/copying Australian versions lol. The International/US version should be fine althoguh the units may be different. You cna always view the Australian book at the library if you need to. It wasn't until second semester last year I realized there was a special section in the library that contained all the course textbooks you could borrow for short periods of time :p

I personally am not a fan of ebooks for learning really. I just never get around to using them. Whereas if I paid money for a book, well I sort of feel I should read it then lol.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Thanks for the textbook info tip about booklists now being available, cna now see how much it will cost me lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)