Ashleet

HSC
GO MS 12

YAY WE'RE ALL LAW STUDENTS!!!!!! gives everyone a well earned pat on the back

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
yea spin spin, so stop bagging out law pplz, they usually do it as a support degree anyway
and plus the cut off is like 99.6 in usyd coz of the demand for that course,....showing its popularity , not prestige
dont you think the two go hand in hand?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Yes,

like with some products such as certain wines, if you push the price up, more people buy it. ;)
But there is always people that will stick to the right price and choose the wine thats right for them ;)

* Cranks open Lindemans Bottle

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
thats cos alot of law students don't go into practising law, and many end up working overseas, something u can't do with say, a medicine degree
why not?
I thought that was a cause of the doctor shortages in Australia?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Yeah I'm doing combined law and science at Newcastle, but only because it's needed for Forensics.

HSC
i'm not doing law yet but i will someday IF dats IF i like it:p

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Arts/Law at Newcastle
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm combining it with Arts

David27

They're doing law cause they've been brought up on a host of dopey, unrealistic American tele programs that paint it as a sexy and glamourous profession.
NO! I hear you say. What? You've gone down to the local courts to see them in action. Doubt it.
You've looked up what they actually study? Doubt it.
Be honest, kind ladies and gentlemen.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by David27
What? You've gone down to the local courts to see them in action. Doubt it.
You've looked up what they actually study? Doubt it.
Yep and yep

You seem to be quite a bitter young man, it's a shame really :p
Oh well, you just keep trying to appear more informed and insightful than the rest of us
But try not to use this generalised argument that everyone seems to use against Law these days, eh

aspen

i'm doing arts/;aw at uow. And yes it's because i'm actually interested in it, i couldn't care less what other people think of the career. I've wanted to be a lawyer since i was 8 and actually used my time at work experience to go to different lawyers offices and see what they really do. American law shows are totally wrong, anyone who's serious about law knows that they're not realistic.

Ribbon

I've done work experience with a firm and been involved in a civil case for awhile now. I know exactly what courses I'll be studying (cept I am waiting till i've got more experience to decide on electives...don't even have to choose law electives until 3rd year anyway)... Very few people would choose a course because someone on tv makes the proffession look good. You also have to remember law is very popular because its regarded as a great background course to alot of different careers, so alot of people will choose it if they are unsure about what they want to do in the future ect.

Alot of people will also choose law because of the high UAI. The fact of the matter is if you are in a course that is known to have a high entry score, potential employers will look upon this more favourably, because, generally, it means your smarter. Eg. commerce/law graduate will be more likely to get a job than a straight commerce graduate (assuming that the only variable was the course)

and I agree about the money thing. Alot of people choose law for the high graduate starting salaries.

Last edited:

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
BA Communications (Public Communication) / B Laws @ UTS

2004 UAI Cut-off: 98.00
My UAI: 98.40

Woohoo! :) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)