So Who Is Telling The Truth???! (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
Well i am doing Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plaths poetry for telling the truth (Birthday Letters) In particular The Shot.

My teacher says i have to make a judgment on who is telling the truth - Ted Hughes poetry is telling the truth - or Sylvia Plath s poetry is telling the truth.

Heavens i don't know. There is so many factors. I think both tell the truth but different perspectives. How can i say, and with what kind of evidence, of who is telling the truth?

And also, how would i incorporate, say, this in an essay?

HSC
no one knows who is telling the truth and u dont need to know. u just hav to talk about wat the poems convey about "telling the truth"

HSC
they're not expecting us to make a judgement decision on the relationship between two people we've never met, so i wouldn't worry about incorporating it into an essay...

u just hav to talk about wat the poems convey about "telling the truth"
i.e. how composers position us to believe their version of the truth.

p.s. trying to find uncommon related texts for this module is driving me up the wall.

Dare

HSC
I think that, to me, that is the whole purpose of this topic: understanding that in Many real life situations, there is no real truth.
Like russian and rise said, you just have to talk about and compare their truths, their "personal understanding of the truth, their perspective."

A quote you could use to start off an essay using this idea is "Every truth has two sides. It is well to look at both sides before we commit ourselves to either side." -Aesop.

Also, reading over one of the high range sample answers for 2005, I've found they mention many things such as [after comparing different truths] "both perspectives can be seen to show a vivid, emotional truth, and thus while both are persuasive, neither one can be discounted."

"...the highly complex relationship that exists between representation and meaning."

"Ultimately, we must conclude that each of these representations are of merit, in communicating a personal truth."

There's some points you should expand on if you were to take this path and compare the truths, and how they are represented.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that poetry is not usually the medium used to convey biographical truths; it's generally used to convey truths that have been fantasised about or changed by the imagination and exaggerated.

Hope this helps. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)