So who else thinks we got slid a 2 unit paper? (1 Viewer)

Razzah

HSC
SuziQ said:
don't hate me just because I have an opinion and im confident with my abilities in general maths.
Haha, that's like being confident in your ability to be shit.... Sorry, too harsh?

lalalalalaowned

HSC
easiest exam of my life.

I'll get 97 + without my glasses and only using my left hand..

JosephW

HSC
samali said:
did anyone else have touble with question 27 b part i... which then altered the answers of ii and iii. me or none of my class mates could not get the monthly repayment to be $2178.67... did anyone else get it? how???
Use present value formula. Sub in r=0.006825 and n=360 first in the bracket.

samali

HSC
SuziQ said:
you needed to use present value formula. i didnt keep my exam so i cant give you the working, but thats what u needed to do. id be happy to explain if u want to give me the q.
Julir takes out a $290 000 home loan. the terms of the loan are 8.25% per annum over 30 years with monthly repayments.
(i) show that the minimum monthly repayment is $2178.67, to the nearest cent.
(ii) Determine the total amount paid for the loan over 30 years (I just timed 2178.67 by 360 months hahaha)
(iii) each months julie decides to pay $250 more than the minimum monthly repayment. Would she be able to pay off the loan in 20 years? Justify your answer by showing calculations.

Also with question 25 (i) dimensions of the rectangular box, did anyone else take into account that the height of the sector wasnt in fact the height of the box and you had to use i think the cosine rule or something (i cant remember what i did) to get the middle height, and the arc in the sector couldnt just be timed by 4 to get the length of the box... you had to use the cosine rule to get the length without the arc. hahahha does anyone else know what im talking about. oh god i hope i didnt go off on an unneccesary tangent!

Cerry

HSC
samali said:
did anyone else have touble with question 27 b part i... which then altered the answers of ii and iii. me or none of my class mates could not get the monthly repayment to be $2178.67... did anyone else get it? how???
I talked to three people about it, and we all had the same problem. Most of the things we tried got us $2799, or something like that (the exact number has slipped my mind right at this moment). I've got about a page, which is just working that's been crossed out, because i couldn't get an answer. Fortunately, the rest of the question didn't depend on that answer, so I went on, came back at the end of the exam, spent like, another half hour on it, and kept having the same problems over and over again.

ccc123

HSC
Cerry said:
I talked to three people about it, and we all had the same problem. Most of the things we tried got us $2799, or something like that (the exact number has slipped my mind right at this moment). I've got about a page, which is just working that's been crossed out, because i couldn't get an answer. Fortunately, the rest of the question didn't depend on that answer, so I went on, came back at the end of the exam, spent like, another half hour on it, and kept having the same problems over and over again.
Yeah, I stuffed that up too. Apparently you had to use the annuities formula. In teh test however, I did not consider this. *shrug*

Cerry

HSC
ccc123 said:
Yeah, I stuffed that up too. Apparently you had to use the annuities formula. In teh test however, I did not consider this. *shrug*
Tried all three of those at least twice (because after the first one didn't work, I thought maybe I'd used the wrong one). Tried compound and simple interest. None of them worked. Reset my calculator and tried everything again. Still didn't work.
Apparently, one of the girls in our class did get the answer, but it's beyond me how she did it.

Uncle Toby

HSC
samali said:
Also with question 25 (i) dimensions of the rectangular box, did anyone else take into account that the height of the sector wasnt in fact the height of the box and you had to use i think the cosine rule or something (i cant remember what i did) to get the middle height, and the arc in the sector couldnt just be timed by 4 to get the length of the box... you had to use the cosine rule to get the length without the arc. hahahha does anyone else know what im talking about. oh god i hope i didnt go off on an unneccesary tangent!
The height of the box was the radius which was shown as 15 im pretty sure. And I got the arc by cutting off the bottom curve so it was a triangle with two sides of 15 and figure out the bottom side and times that by 4 (or however many cheeses there were in the box).

smile=)

HSC
samali said:
I had so much trouble with that question! I sat there for ages trying to figure out how to do it, and still never got the answer.. grr!
The last question was stupid too.. i had no idea how to do it.
And the one about boxes of cheese was confusing too haha..
But, on the bright side, no more maths ever again! =)

ccc123

HSC
Cerry said:
Tried all three of those at least twice (because after the first one didn't work, I thought maybe I'd used the wrong one). Tried compound and simple interest. None of them worked. Reset my calculator and tried everything again. Still didn't work.
Apparently, one of the girls in our class did get the answer, but it's beyond me how she did it.
Yeah i dunno...did you keep getting something like 7995 (there was a 7 and more than one 9 at least I remember)

SuziQ

HSC
samali said:
Julir takes out a $290 000 home loan. the terms of the loan are 8.25% per annum over 30 years with monthly repayments.
(i) show that the minimum monthly repayment is $2178.67, to the nearest cent.
(ii) Determine the total amount paid for the loan over 30 years (I just timed 2178.67 by 360 months hahaha)
(iii) each months julie decides to pay $250 more than the minimum monthly repayment. Would she be able to pay off the loan in 20 years? Justify your answer by showing calculations.

(i) Graphics Cal
N = 30 * 12
= 360
I% = 8.25/12
= 0.6875
PV = 290000
PMT = $2178.67
FV = 0

OR

290000/
(((1+0.006875)^360-1)/
(0.006875(1.006875)^360))
= $2178.673152

(ii) 2178.67 * 360
= $784321.20

(iii) i guessed this, not entirely sure if it is correct.
2178.67 + 250 = $2428.67
2428.67 * 240 (months in 20 years) = $522880.80
522880.80 - 784321.20 = -$261440.40
Therefore, she cannot pay off the loan in 20 years. She is $261440.40 short.

That was my assumption of the question. Otherwise I have no idea.

In regards to the box, the height was in fact 15cm because that was the radius. It showed that after the arc was cut off it was the same length (for some odd reason).
width was 7 * 3 = 21cm.
and for the length i got the circumference and multipled by 4.
((40/360)2pie15) * 4 = 41.88...
hence my dimensions were 21cm x 15 cm x 42 cm.

ecd90

HSC
Yep i walked in thinkin it would be fine and wasnt worried at all
Multiple choice was alright then got into the questions and i was fukd
.... Worst ever

Cerry

HSC
ccc123 said:
Yeah i dunno...did you keep getting something like 7995 (there was a 7 and more than one 9 at least I remember)
Yes. All three of the other people I asked did as well. We were hoping that it was an actualy mistake, but people seem to have actually managed to prove it somehow.

SuziQ said:
(i) Graphics Cal
N = 30 * 12
= 360
I% = 8.25/12
= 0.6875
PV = 290000
PMT = $2178.67
FV = 0

OR

290000/
(((1+0.006875)^360-1)/
(0.006875(1.006875)^360))
= $2178.673152
Did you actually try the second way? Because I swear that's what I did, and I could not get that answer.

SuziQ

HSC
Cerry said:
Yes. All three of the other people I asked did as well. We were hoping that it was an actualy mistake, but people seem to have actually managed to prove it somehow.

Did you actually try the second way? Because I swear that's what I did, and I could not get that answer.

yeah, i tested it on my calculator. You just need to be wary of the amount of brackets your using. Not really much help though now lol. Graphics is much quicker and easier.

McLovin

HSC
Cerry said:

I done it the second way, it may have been the way you typed it into the calculator, like you could of missed a bracket or two perhaps?
But I got the answer straight away I was so happy lol, I effed up simpsons rule because i misread the question I thought they were asking for two methods? and im like WTF I ONLY KNOW ONE! very silly so the best i can get is like 96 or 95.

Uncle Toby

HSC
SuziQ said:
and for the length i got the circumference and multipled by 4.
That can't be right because the circumference is curved, so it will be longer than the length of the cheese.

BabyK

HSC
DAT PAPER WS DISGUSTINGG wtfff srslyy in all d past papers i did i got lyk 90's, nd even my trials, d trials dat were ment to be lyk 1000 times harder den dis bullshit were yr 3 work compared to this, this was just NASTY....fail....uai expectation b4 dis exam: 75, uai expectation now : below 30 (mystery mark) bye bye unii byeeeeee

SuziQ

HSC
haha yeah i noticed this when i read someone elses. oops. =( there goes 1 mark.

HSC
samali said:
It's a home loan, so you have to use Present Value annuities thingy.

Exam was pretty hard, not as hard as 2007. Don't worry, the more people who thought it was hard = the less marks everyone will get = the more aligning will occur

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)