So what's my best bet?? (1 Viewer)

morganforrest

HSC
So I'm about to obtain my first car and I'm down to two options.

My neighbour has an old (read: mid 80's) 5 series BMW he's willing to sell to me for $1500. It's an auto though, but it is in pretty good nick.

My other option is my parents own a Ford KA that they're willing to give me for 2 years until my brother gets his license. All I have to pay is the insurance on it.

Which should I get???

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
i guess you'll have to pay for the insurance on either one of them?
More info please, including specs and what you'll use it for.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
go for the ford ka
probably wont have as many problems as the 20 year old bmw

morganforrest

HSC
I'd only get CTP on the BMW...and comprehensive on the Ford.

The BMW's an 85 5 series auto. 1.8L 5 speed auto. Done about 160 000. It's in good shape but will need new tyres in about a year.

The Ford is about 2003 5 speed manual. 1.3??L. Done about 140 000 but we've had it since new and all those kilometres have been highway driving.

I'll mostly use it for going in and out of town, and to Sydney and back for the rest of this year. I live on the South Coast, 3 hours from Sydney. As of next year, I'll be on the North Shore jsut scooting around from place to place. Nothing extremely strenuous on the engine.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
wow the bmw has done way less kays than i thought
if thats the case go for the bmw

CieL

HSC
I'd just drive the Ka.. and save spending $1500.. and two years later when your brother needs it, you'd have hopefully saved more by then and get something better..

You've got two cars right?
The Ka and something else?

morganforrest

HSC
CieL said:
I'd just drive the Ka.. and save spending $1500.. and two years later when your brother needs it, you'd have hopefully saved more by then and get something better..

You've got two cars right?
The Ka and something else?
We will....Dad's having his mid life crisis and buying the new jeep wrangler (which i encourage...i reckon they're awesome)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i reckon they eat, drink and shit petrol >.>

get the KA if youre going to be going on long drives. i'd be inclined to think that it will save more petrol than the BM, and seeing as it is only temporary you can save up your moolah and have a bit more come 2 years time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)