So, what do you think about Augustus? (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
My teacher loves him, in the sense where she has a framed picture of him above her blackboard, I feel like I should salute it or something. "Heil Augustus!"

As a general/leader etc he was goodly, as a person he was a xenophobic ass :D

veridis

droog
HSC
i think my teacher was the opposite
had a very informative sheet with the title "Augustus: Madman or madman" giving us alot of differing opinions there arent you miss. all through the julio claudians topic was like that. learnt too much of the "fun" history about all the gory and extravagent things the JCs did without actualy doing any historiography. again makes for good classes but i'm very fond of the textbook for saving my marks come exam time

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Haha! Oh my god, I would love to show that to Ms Trevini, she'd die. :D
From a modern perspective, yeah, my summary is that he was a xenophobic ass, but he did some great things.
We haven't done the Julio-Claudians yet though, for some reason we've done 68-235 (I think) first. You can tell I play a lot of attention. :p

veridis

droog
HSC
look like the textbook will become your best friend too come exam time then :D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Haha, I'm so lazy, I prolly won't even read the textbooks, I'll just go to sleep and hope for the best.

ah! This is a bad attitude which I promised I would quell once yr 12 started :D

veridis

droog
HSC
every year the promises that you'll start studying and doing hw. first its like yr 10, SC i'll start, then you realise it doesn matter. the yr 11, subjects i'm doing for HSC i'll start, then you realise it doesn matter. now it HSC i'll start, but people keep telling you "UAI isnt the be all and end all" so you start getting lazy even though it probably does matter
such a familliar pattern

ta-da

HSC
augustus was the best out of all the julio claudians
thats my opinion anyway
the others were either a bit looney or had a women control him to her needs (though that sounds pretty good to me :p)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Haha, I love how he used his sister as leverage for war against Antony. Antony was an ass though. :p
Fuuuuck, I need to do my Livia thingy.

veridis

droog
HSC
nah tiberius was the best j-c
paranoia paranoia everybodies coming to get me(love that song too)
if i was a dictator i'd live like him. on a nice island resort while getting someone else to do the work

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
only problem being he got a complete pycho with over ambitious desires to do it for him and kiled off half the partrician class (meanwhile did limit some of those pesky royal family canditates)

and ofcourse due to the whole debarcle u get *voila* Caligula....i always liked my teachers appraoch to Nero...what did u expect from an 18 year old who had WORLD POWER? haha she had a piont...

anyways i shall now use this thread to offer (upon my return cos currently im about to leave on holidays) notes on the julioclaudians (both from teh hsc and from first year university) and on agrippina...thats all ive studied in rome so best i can do fro yas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)