So my piece of shit laptop died. (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Rig built in 09 on a budget of $700

Defrags daily.
Nearly 2TB of space filled with games and programs.
No reformats.
Runs ~everythng~.
Still runs smooth.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
And lolsmith in response to your post, you are now just making attacks at me rather than contributing to the thread. Much of what you have said can be applied to his responses as well, so I can presume that you are doing this in defence of a friend. If you have something relevant to contribute, by all means continue. If you have a problem with me personally, then feel free to PM me to discuss it, or make a thread in Contact Mods. Any further irrelevant posts from yourself or anybody else for that matter will be deleted.
It has nothing to do with who he is. He made his points well, you either ignored them or just couldn't follow them. I don't have any personal problems with you, I'm just telling you to be a better person.

I think Bootcamp comes standard with the 2011 13" MBP's (I base this off my one having it on there when I never downloaded it or paid for it). They have pretty large hard drives, so the partition wouldn't be too much of an issue storage wise. If this is the case, you could buy one straight off eBay for about 1000 bux or less if you don't care about it being used

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Rig built in 09 on a budget of $700

Defrags daily.
Nearly 2TB of space filled with games and programs.
No reformats.
Runs ~everythng~.
Still runs smooth.
I run my computers a lot harder than this. I'm guessing this is a tower machine as well? I was talking about laptops (yes, I know this seems irrelevant, but laptops are treated much more harshly with typically worse specs). Plus, a desktop doesn't suffer from constrictive keyboards or poor trackpads - which was one of my positive points about the Apple laptop range.

You defrag daily? Then you have an idea about computer maintenance. Surely you know many people that get confused as soon as you say 'defrag', or think its the magical cure for all problems?

I'm not saying Apple or OS-X is supreme in any way. I run Windows on my desktops, but I stand by the Mac laptops through experience.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i guess that's fine...

although honestly with $1500 i would build a killer desktop and then buy a laptop for uni/media w.e with the change
put together a budget/plan for this and I might do it.

Please dont swear. It means you have a very poor vocabulary.

Go get a proper job, i.e. not at uni, don't do dodgy stuff like getting two discounts. Get a decent budget.

Thanks for you cooporation. YA DICK
wot? Lol

what is all this talk on mac's being easier to use. yeah sure maybe if you've literally never dealt with a computer before, but other than that everyone should be fine. and faster? hahaha don't make me laugh please
I'm really bad with computers.

Also, I go to USyd so I pretty much NEED a MacBook. Lol

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, guys.

I'm either getting the high-end or low-end 13" MacBook Air to use at uni and at home. (I'm not sure whether it's worth getting the bigger one. The guy at dicksmith said he could take the education discount + an extra $100 off the price making it $1529)
I have a 1.5TB external hard drive and also, if I take my old hard drive out of my old comp that's 500GB so I can just put all my crap on those.

Or I could get the low-end MBP for ~$1200 for home and steal my mum's iPad for uni.

I'm not sure. :/

Help.

Last edited:
HSC
OS-X, by the nature of the OS and the way it's been designed means that it is very stable and does away with most maintenance related issues like fragmentation. It is a very low maintenance operating system - and ~98% less viruses lends to this (note: statistic pulled out of my ass).

I'm on a 2009 MBP right now. It's been through hell and back, physical damage and abuse by software, and it is only on its second OS install (I broke Leopard by accident, doing some 'advanced' shit; restarted and installed snow leopard). Still going strong. That says a strong OS right there.

Oh, and its full to capacity but running as smooth as ever.
i had an old windows xp pc for 8 years and it only went through about 3-4 reformats. sure it may be slightly better to maintain a mac (don't really think it makes a difference), it is still not worth the extra money. and really if you're dumb enough to still get a multitude of viruses nowadays then by all means get the mac, but steering clear from viruses shouldn't be a problem.

put together a budget/plan for this and I might do it.
hmm ok.

what do you plan on using the desktop for? do you already have peripherals like a keyboard, mouse, monitor?

what do you plan on using the laptop for?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i had an old windows xp pc for 8 years and it only went through about 3-4 reformats. sure it may be slightly better to maintain a mac (don't really think it makes a difference), it is still not worth the extra money. and really if you're dumb enough to still get a multitude of viruses nowadays then by all means get the mac, but steering clear from viruses shouldn't be a problem.

hmm ok.

what do you plan on using the desktop for? do you already have peripherals like a keyboard, mouse, monitor?

what do you plan on using the laptop for?
but windows has gone the fuck downhill since XP. My HP XP lasted me ~2 years and was 2nd hand after about 3 years use.

Mostly, movies, maybe games, but I don't have any so it's not a loss if not, and uni work and stuff.
And I have a bad habit of having a billion window open, so if it can't crash with that. Yay!
Nope. I'd just get cheap-o ones. Except monitor. Probs include that in the plan.

Laptop would then be for uni work and stuff, maybe watching videos and stuff but not really.
It would need to be really light, portable, and comfortable to use.
It would need to be the opposite of fragile because I don't treat my things nicely.
And also, pretty.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Okay, guys.

I'm either getting the high-end or low-end 13" MacBook Air to use at uni and at home. (I'm not sure whether it's worth getting the bigger one. The guy at dicksmith said he could take the education discount + an extra $100 off the price making it $1529)
I have a 1.5TB external hard drive and also, if I take my old hard drive out of my old comp that's 500GB so I can just put all my crap on those.

Or I could get the low-end MBP for ~$1200 for home and steal my mum's iPad for uni.

I'm not sure. :/

Help.
You can use the MBP for uni as well dude

HSC
but windows has gone the fuck downhill since XP. My HP XP lasted me ~2 years and was 2nd hand after about 3 years use.

Mostly, movies, maybe games, but I don't have any so it's not a loss if not, and uni work and stuff.
And I have a bad habit of having a billion window open, so if it can't crash with that. Yay!
Nope. I'd just get cheap-o ones. Except monitor. Probs include that in the plan.

Laptop would then be for uni work and stuff, maybe watching videos and stuff but not really.
It would need to be really light, portable, and comfortable to use.
It would need to be the opposite of fragile because I don't treat my things nicely.
And also, pretty.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 $205 (latest gen cpu, pretty amazing in all honesty)
Mobo: ASRock B75M Motherboard $69
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 $59 (billion windows opened, tick)
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX $115
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC $269 (can pretty much play any game stably at very high settings, except maybe bf3. might be a little overkill for your purposes but meh)
SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 64GB $95 (there's your precious SSD)
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C $75
ODD: random burner ~20
case: Sharkoon T28 Green Case USB 3.05 - $65
oem: windows 7 64bit $95
monitor: ASUS VE228H 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor - $150
= ~$1115

killer pc, can do absolutely anything you want it to do

not so sure on the notebook as I don't really deal with them as much, there are tonnes out there and I'm sure you can find one that is portable and good for uni for ~$400. maybe an acer d270?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I'd take Windows 7 over XP any day. XP was great, but now I'd take 7.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You can use the MBP for uni as well dude
I would probs leave it at home and take the iPad most days just due to the extra kilo of weight. (I'm like tiny, you know this)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 $205 (latest gen cpu, pretty amazing in all honesty)
Mobo: ASRock B75M Motherboard $69
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 $59 (billion windows opened, tick)
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX $115
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC $269 (can pretty much play any game stably at very high settings, except maybe bf3. might be a little overkill for your purposes but meh)
SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 64GB $95 (there's your precious SSD)
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C $75
ODD: random burner ~20
case: Sharkoon T28 Green Case USB 3.05 - $65
oem: windows 7 64bit $95
monitor: ASUS VE228H 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor - $150
= ~$1115

killer pc, can do absolutely anything you want it to do

not so sure on the notebook as I don't really deal with them as much, there are tonnes out there and I'm sure you can find one that is portable and good for uni for ~$400. maybe an acer d270?
hmmm, I dunno.

HSC
if it really isn't a big deal just get the mac

i personally think it's an absolute waste of money but hey it's as simple as going down to the shop and buying it tomorrow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)