So, is PS3 any good? (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
hey all, i am looking to 'invest' in a ps3. i've asked around and people have given me mixed responses in tems of how good it is, so what do you guys (those who actually owns a ps3) reckon?

another question, can ps3 play ps2 and ps games? cheers all.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
It's supposed to be able to play PS2 and PS games, but I remember hearing from somewhere that there are a few niggling problems with the backwards compatibility. That is, some games don't work on them for some reason. If you want to play PS2 and PS games, you'd be better off getting a PS2 for now, the PS3 isn't worth it at the moment.

Just wait a while for the price to go down a bit, hopefully a few games will come within this year and make the console worthwhile.

zingerburger

HSC
Yeah, there isn't a large enough variety of good games out yet that make you obligated to get a PS3.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
lengy said:
Can't play PS2 games.
actually the ps3 update allows it to play ps2.

I rekon if u got the cash then get it. if i had the cash i would.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
There really isn't any reason I can think of to choose the PS3 over the 360 at the moment

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
on one of the ps3 websites it says that ps3 is fully backward compatible, so if i buy a ps3 and it can't play any of my ps or ps2 games, can i take it back and get them to fix it? it does have a warranty right?

zingerburger

HSC
That's a lie. The PS3 isn't fully backwards compatible. Most games work but some don't. I think you can download updates for it that add more games to the compatibility list but that might be for the 360. Or it might be for both.

I don't think you'll be able to take it back for "fixing" because it doesn't need it in the first place. Warranty won't fix backwards compatibility. Of course, if a really major, popular game like, say, Gran Turismo 3 doesn't work, then you might have a shoddy PS3.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
wuddie said:
on one of the ps3 websites it says that ps3 is fully backward compatible, so if i buy a ps3 and it can't play any of my ps or ps2 games, can i take it back and get them to fix it? it does have a warranty right?
your going to give every1 a headche by doing that.....if you want to play ps3 games, then buy a ps3, if you want to play ps2 games, then buy a ps2 or play the one you already have...

I wouldnt buy a ps3 to play ps2 games or make a big fuss about it

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
wrxsti said:
your going to give every1 a headche by doing that.....if you want to play ps3 games, then buy a ps3, if you want to play ps2 games, then buy a ps2 or play the one you already have...

I wouldnt buy a ps3 to play ps2 games or make a big fuss about it
True, I'm not too fussed on bc either, but if Sony says their machine is able to do it, then they should at least t implement it right

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
The European and Australian versions of the PS3 have significantly reduced support for legacy PS1 and PS2 titles compared to the Japanese and North American editions. Dedicated hardware support was removed in order to reduce production costs, and has been replaced by software emulation.[55] Sony released a list of compatible games on March 20, 2007, with ratings saying whether a game had noticeable issues, minor issues or no known issues. Games not on the list are not compatible with the PlayStation 3 at that time. The list shows that 1,782 PlayStation 2 and over 1,000 original Playstation games will be playable on the PAL PS3 at launch (though some have minor to major issues),[56] accounting for about 72% of all PS2 games released in Europe.[57] From IGN's top 25 PS2 games list,[58] nine games are reported to have no known compatibility issues with the PS3, four games have minor compatibility issues, four more have major issues, and eight games are not supported at all.

In line with Sony's original gameplan,[59] and in a press release from SCE Europe (SCEE),[60] Sony stated that starting with the PAL version, the PS3 will utilize software emulation for aspects of PS2 backwards compatibility that were originally taken care of by dedicated chips. In the same press release it is stated that in time, additional PS2 titles will become compatible through regular downloadable firmware updates. The backwards compatibility information page advises players to "avoid the use of 60 Hz and network modes" and "skip optional FMV sequences" in order to minimise the effects of errors in the emulation.[61] Unfortunately, firmware updates can adversely affect the backward compatibility of some titles. For example, firmware version 1.70 adds support for many titles absent from version 1.60, at the cost of completely removing compatibility with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and dropping the compatibility rating of Ico and several Burnout titles from "No known issues to date" to "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues".[61] There are however PS1 games not included in the list, like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania Chronicles, that work fine with firmware version 1.70.

David Reeves, President of SCEE, stated that “...rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3.” Sony has since stated that the chip will be later removed in the North American and Japanese models as well.[62]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#European_.26_Australian_version

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)