So..how do you get a band 6 in biology? (1 Viewer)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Did anyone here from class of 02 get a band 6 in biology? If so, how? ;)
And does anyone have any tips for how to get band 6? I've heard that only 800 out of about 12,000 people doing bio get a band 6 every year :eek:

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Leap
I've heard that only 800 out of about 12,000 people doing bio get a band 6 every year :eek:
:jaw:

hmm.. thats a pretty bad statistic... dam... i'm just making sure i get and practise alot of questions and to cover all the dot points...

i dont know how everyone else does it.. and make sure you use the right terminology :D

mannnnndy

chocoholic
you should try and do all the dot points as though they were actual questions, that way you'll be prepared for every possible question in the hsc. When you do short answer & extended response type questions, make sure you look at the verbs in the question and answer the question accordingly. Like if it says "evaluate the significance of evolution" then evaluate it, not just describe, cause thats where a lot of the marks will be - answering the question properly. Hope that helps :)

Akira_Tikira

Have a good comprehensive knowledge of Biology, use of biological term and try not to use your common sense....it makes your answer very childish and shows the marker you have absolutely no idea of what you are going on about

Also, make sure you get the niddy griddy right. That is all the procedure for prcatical right....we may think it is easy but the markers want a expanded answer with alot of bullshit stuff...

But what is most important is make sure you know it well...and memorise it...

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
use heaps of detail - if u know the "more scientific" word for it, use it - make yourself sound smart!!!
have a look at the text book called "Success 1 HSC" - it gives u a heap of questions for each topic, then they give u Band-6 answers for each of them, (which at first makes u feel really stupid because u aren't that smart, but u get the hang of it)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
use scientific terminology and like others said.. be heaps specific and answer the question directly

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
there is no way around it, you have to know every single aspect of the sylabus. they are bastards and prone to focus in on one tiny dot point for a 7 mark question or something.
also knowing what all the terms (ie analyse, discribe, evaluate) specifically mean is also vital.
keep your answers consise, no essays for all those humanities inclined.
spell it all out. really basically. dont assume they knwo anything.
luck is also good.

Akira_Tikira

Lets just say it is very, very, hard
2.5 % get band 6
Therefore, If u go to a normal school(non-selective) you have to get rank 1 of getting any chance of getting band 6.

Our school got 2 band 6 with 15 people doing Bio, but its a selective school so its hard to compare.

As alot of people said
-use Biological terms and less common sense
-give examples to everything you do
-Make sure you can explain theories that you understand
-do communication for elective

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz....... way to go digging up the old threads... =p u better hope babydoll_ or tele ain't gonna be pissed off ;)

but then agian... nearly 1 year without reply =p

Originally posted by Akira_Tikira
Lets just say it is very, very, hard
2.5 % get band 6
Therefore, If u go to a normal school(non-selective) you have to get rank 1 of getting any chance of getting band 6.

Our school got 2 band 6 with 15 people doing Bio, but its a selective school so its hard to compare.
just a note... i think the class of 02 in my school only had 1 person got band 6... so our principle and bio teachers were like "ARGHHHHHHHH THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!!!" ... so yea, we - the poor 03 bio'ers - are watched ova... forcibly volenteered to do alot of stuff we were unwilling to do =(

yea but it paid off tho... nearly half of 03 bio'er got band 6, even a gal in the top 10... =)

*sigh~~~ so jealous of her :'(

untamedanimal

Originally posted by Akira_Tikira
Thats not true. Mine is not selective and we got more than 1 person getting over band 6

JUAIseek said if you get 90 youll be top 8.2%, is that right? cause some people said around 2% but 2% of 12000 people is like 240 - 300 people

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
whats wrong with digging up threads? saves the BOS server from having to host another thread lets say. on enantiostasis (x100) or something

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
whats wrong with digging up threads? saves the BOS server from having to host another thread lets say. on enantiostasis (x100) or something
lolz... ahahahah... alryte, true true... =) betta edit before tele/babydoll finds out my reply =p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I got 91 in Bio last year.

My advice... when it comes to biology, KISS (Keep it simple stupid)... I am often overly wordy and it's best to say things clearly. Use the best biological terminology without going over the top trying to sound smart.

Making a summary answering every dot point is by far the best way to study imo. Make sure you understand the concepts of biology and you don't just have a rote learned answer though, because unless you understand it you won't be able to answer the harder questions well, or answer something that's a bit different to the usual question.

Anyway, those are my tips. 2003 Bio exam was a bit stupid anyway, it was very englishy rather than scientific (but that seems to be the way HSC sciences are going!).

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I got 91 in Bio last year.

My advice... when it comes to biology, KISS (Keep it simple stupid)... I am often overly wordy and it's best to say things clearly. Use the best biological terminology without going over the top trying to sound smart.

Making a summary answering every dot point is by far the best way to study imo. Make sure you understand the concepts of biology and you don't just have a rote learned answer though, because unless you understand it you won't be able to answer the harder questions well, or answer something that's a bit different to the usual question.

Anyway, those are my tips. 2003 Bio exam was a bit stupid anyway, it was very englishy rather than scientific (but that seems to be the way HSC sciences are going!).
I know, next they'll have an extended response section for maths

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
2003 Bio exam was a bit stupid anyway, it was very englishy rather than scientific (but that seems to be the way HSC sciences are going!).
Totally agree with that... it came as I shock to me :s

I got a band 6 in Bio last year and well, basically, it's just answering every dot point in the syllabus, understanding the concepts thoroughly, and just practicing exam papers as the trials came closer. I used the Heinemann text book, and the bolded words (important terminology) in the book were handy in answering questions and keeping them concise.

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Calculon
I know, next they'll have an extended response section for maths
Its funny when i read the markers notes on the 2 unit exam. They said some people wrote like more than a page to explain why a GP has a limiting sum and still had got it wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)