So here's my situation. (1 Viewer)

Shifty Pete

HSC
Hi, I'm Pete. So I went through my junior years of high school a social outcast, addicted to video games/internet, not getting enough sleep, and having bad health and sloppy attendance. We moved houses & schools many times. Around mid year 10, I straight up refused to go to school as I was fed up with the bullying and general depressing environment. Most people did some kind of work experience in Year 10. I didn't. Soon we moved to Coffs Harbour, where I resumed and finished Year 10 and received my School Certificate. Coffs is a fairly average school, most students achieving ATARs of ~75. Not very promising, is it? To top it off, i've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue, but I think it's really a combination of bad overall health, poor sleep scheduling, depression and lack of motivation. So, for my School Certificate, my results were:

English - literacy: 83
Mathematics: 80
Science: 80
Geography: 76
History: 66
Computing Skills: 93

(I didn't study)

For Year 11, I chose Advanced English, Mathematics, Legal Studies, Information Technology (Cert II TVET TAFE), Photography and Music 1 (Began learning piano and reading music. Self-taught, as music teacher is terrible at teaching.). It's now Year 12. I've since dropped down to General Maths and English Standard (I missed important things in Year 10, wasn't putting enough effort in and wasn't doing that well overall). Also dropped Photography (I was doing well, scored 94, but it was a bludge class, I learned bugger all, the teacher sucked and bored the 7 of us in the class to no end). Additionally, I fast-tracked my Cert II in IT, finished it with 84/100 (didn't study), and am now doing Cert III.

I was never really an organized person. Recently I've made a decision to change all this - to get organized and focused on my studies. I am trying to have less time off, am using a diary and have written up a study timetable for myself. I'm putting more effort in my classes. Sticking by what I've set for myself is easier said than done, however. So, just to recap on my subjects - for Year 12, I'm doing:

General Maths (I'm doing great, decent teacher. I enjoy maths.)
Standard English (I'm doing average, will need to take things further myself to achieve better. Terrible teacher.)
Legal Studies (Also doing average, also terrible teacher. Not much productivity going on in the entire class. I'm a little worried.)
Information Technology (TVET course, Cert III at TAFE) (I'm doing well, average teacher.)
Music 1 (I'm doing well, terrible teacher. Been learning piano for just over a year now, i've progressed fast.)

I'm kicking myself for not choosing any of the sciences in Year 11. Gah, Bad experiences in Year 10 left a bad taste in my mouth for science. Are there bridging courses for that? Well anyway, my dream job is game designer - if not that, then some kind of IT job. I've done a bit of coding, scripting, and 3d mapping here and there as a personal interest, but nothing amazing. My current plan post-HSC is to do a bridging course in Maths to get me up to the 2 unit level I dropped out of, then go into some IT courses at University or TAFE. My father suggested I get into Aeronautical Engineering somehow as apparently it's a high-paying career with a shortage of workers, and I could work anywhere in the world. I'm not sure how I'd go about that though.

Well, anyway - I thought I'd post my situation here for you guys to critique. I need some tips on how I can teach myself the things my teachers don't/won't, ways to prepare for exams, and advice for the future! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel sorry for you bro.

In terms of studying, I find practice papers for maths is the best, just do as many questions and varieties of questions that you can. For English just practice writing essays by hand, fixing them up in 5min to prepare for exam like conditions and then hand them in for critiquing and editing. Your other subjects I have no experience with so hopefully someone else will give you advice there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)