So, did anyone go to the ETA day??? (1 Viewer)

Jinglebell

HSC
just wondering...and if so, what workshop did you go to and was it as deathly boring as critical response?

the reflection statement one in the morning was pretty good though, and actually motivating:)

oh, and who got lost trying to find the right classroom *tries to look innocent*?

chip

HSC
yeh i went........ the reflection statement part was pretty good and yeh i guess it was motivating.......
i was in the scriptwriting workshop and the stupid guy made me feel really dumb and some stupid person writin a play wanted to talk about theirs forever........but the guy was heaps smart and knew lots about scripts so it was valuable..........

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
what kinda script u doing chip? any info u wanna share?

spark

I went to the workshop today and I was in the script writing as well (I was the Asian guy who couldn't for the life of me get a proper sentence out.. sorry, I don't cope well under group situations.. such inarticulation :eek: ).

I thought the screenwriting workshop was valuable, he made me reassess the content and structure of my script much more.. I guess it's back to the drawing board (I haven't even completed my first draft!). It was however, daunting seeing so many people already having such a good understanding of their medium and sense of direction.... ack. Am I behind? :eek:

The reflection statement doesn't bother me at the moment.. maybe it will when I decide to do it the night before.. ;)

chip

HSC
hey spark your writing a film script right........ yeh dont worry i was the one who asked the stupid question about wat a film script is called......it sounded better in my head............

Snakeoils i'm writing a sitcom script which is somewhere between a film script format and a play........ are you writing a film or a play....... i'll send you some of the notes:)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by Jinglebell
just wondering...and if so, what workshop did you go to and was it as deathly boring as critical response?
So the critical response lecture wasn't worth it??

spark

Originally posted by chip
hey spark your writing a film script right........ yeh dont worry i was the one who asked the stupid question about wat a film script is called......it sounded better in my head............
Yup, a film script! I don't think I remembered any stupid questions except mine. Haha.. a strange few hours. :eek:

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Originally posted by chip

Snakeoils i'm writing a sitcom script which is somewhere between a film script format and a play........ are you writing a film or a play....... i'll send you some of the notes:)
hey chip... im writing a film script... if you wanted to send me some of your notes (snakeoils@hotmail.com) the that'd be really good... thanks dude (or dudette :p.. you can never tell someones gender on these things...)

chip

HSC
Ummm i'll just write it here so other people can add stuff just in case i didnt get all of it :D

Film Criteria
*not much dialogue
*short scenes
*lots of scenes
*1/3 page in length

"you should enter the scene as late as possible and leave as early as possible"

A film should have a central character or a central relationship....

Character journeys
* central character wants something
*central relationship wants something
* character spend film going for what they want
* principles clash-> wat he wants is different to wat he wants
* character journey needs to have beginning middle and end
* character journey in 3 parts -> state objective, where objective is tested/challenged, did they or didnt they achieve objective

Climax
*climax of reversal
*climax of meaning
*climax of action
*climax of relationship
*climax of knowledge

i think thats all i got there might be more?

hope it helps a little bit :rolleyes:

Jinglebell

HSC
Re: Re: So, did anyone go to the ETA day???

Originally posted by blah says she

So the critical response lecture wasn't worth it??
there were some good pointers, but i would've got almost as much out of it if i just got the handouts. i guess it might have ben more interesting if the presenter was more interesting...or maybe i'm just too easily bored:D

one good thing was the list of essays we could read for our investigation into form. it was one thing i was kinda stuck on beforehand.

chip

HSC
Ohhh hey i forgot Voice overs

*striking first sentence
*highly personal
*be lateral
*set some stakes
*implication of sufferin
*introduce a world
*intrdouce a paradox

:D

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
thanks chip!

just wonderin'... what do you mean when you said '1/3 of a page in length'... is that like how much dialogue per page or something?

chip

HSC
he had that for scene length and then he said make sure you vary scene lenght so i donno...... i think maybe that should be your average dialogue per page....;)

so chip was there anyone there/anything said about radio drama scripts perchance? or is it really the obscure little medium i'm starting to think it is...

thanks for putting ur notes up :D

chip

HSC
everyone was seperated into their respective mediums; there were lots of films and plays and then the odd ones in the middle. there were only three odds........ myself(sitcom), a guy writting a speech(speech boy) and there was one guy writing a radio drama, i think he said it was a detective story....... i think he took the movie notes which i have put up because that was the closest medium he fitted into. Unlike myself who had to take both play and film notes..... damm being in the middle.:D
I hope my notes help a little........:rolleyes:

spark

I'll just add to chip's brilliant notes;

CRITERIA
Pithy screen directions (he used pithy heaps)
Continuous change of direction

FORMAT
e.g technique

INT. BEDROOM NIGHT
MANDY sits up in bed. She runs into...

INT. BEDROOM NIGHT
.. the wash basin.. etc

CHARACTERISATION & DIALOGUE
Avoid Long descriptions

Characters often speak to what they want unless they must be strategically indirect.

Very short lines.

Audiences want to hear what the characters don't want to say --> internal resistance.

Create unstable, untidy sentences --> sense of realism. Thus, use messy syntax. e.g. I..I.. dog.. I kicked the.. dog <-- through this technique you also reveal your character.

Characters are ALWAYS talking about themselves - I did this, I did that...

RESOLUTION
Twist resolution - e.g gets the girl, girl ends up being a dud
Reversal resolution - wins in climax, loses in resolution

Every scene has a conflict

Every new scene --> New development. Character is at a different point (part of 'character journey' concept).

Use of repetition --> linguistic motives

Use a lot of contrasting images, collection of different moments.

Lots of CUTTING TO --> sense of character development and action

Lots of SINGLE IMAGE SCENES

scenes = moments

The CLIMAX reverses the scene it is in.

NARRATION
- interpretive role --> emotion and interpretation
- personal, subjective
- acts as a 'tour guide'
- the logic: narrator is mad or the world is mad (like Malcolm in the Middle)

MORE CHARACTERISATION
Characters who appear infrequently - make them vivid.

* VERY PITHY ACTIONS
* DON'T OVERDESCRIBE
* DON'T LINGER

That's it I think.. zzzz

luba

spark, don't worry u r not behind. I was at the ETA thing as well, and I have a rather vague idea......I just started my draft 2 days ago.

chip

HSC
yeh i have to say i'm only just finished my first draft so dont worry about it spark...... everyone works at their own pace........

ellipsis

HSC
Re: Re: So, did anyone go to the ETA day???

Originally posted by Mcdickpants
I went to the multimedia one, i turned up 15 minutes late for both sessions because i was so very, very lost :(
I was really worried that there would only be like 10 people in there, and that i would have to talk about my work in front of people (i REALLY hate doing that). and guess what? there were only 10 people there...and we did have to talk about our works :eek: . But luckily i managed to distract him with form issues, and i didnt really have to talk about my work at all :D
All in all i thought that going to the Film one would have been much more worth my while.
Yeah I went to multimedia too. You must be the guy in the corner right ? It was kinda useful. He talked mainly about websites though, and mine isn't really a website. I think the thing that stuck the most was to test it heaps of time from a CD. But I'm soooo not up to that stage so its quite worrying.
I hate talking in front of ppl too (dreading the Viva :( ) but my teacher was there half the time and she's cool.
Everyone else seemed to know alot more than me though, which was kinda freaky .

rhapsody_75

yea i went. did the poetry workshop. was surprised coz people were saying that they hadnt done, or had just done their proposal, wheras we did our proposal week 7 term 4, viva week 4 term 1, and we have our report due last week of this term...how is everyone fitting the assessments in?

ive got another 5 poems to write, and i just had,,,as my teacher would say...the "ah hah" moment and have found a structure with which im really happy...which takes a lot of the pressure off etc. im most worried by the fact that i also have to do 3U history essay, and that i want both 4U english and 3U history finished by the end of term

when is everyone planning on finishing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)