Snow Leopard (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
That's the whole point. A 160GB hdd, which would appear in 10.5 and Windows as 149.7GB, is now accurately reported as 160GB because of the way SL calculates disk size, and hence you get extra space.
That's handy...

Or you could just install Linux Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and you get to select the size of the install :p haha

youngminii

Banned
HSC
That's the whole point. A 160GB hdd, which would appear in 10.5 and Windows as 149.7GB, is now accurately reported as 160GB because of the way SL calculates disk size, and hence you get extra space.
It's people like you that make the internets stupid. Read carefully.

Normally memory is calculated in base 2.
This means 1 kilobyte = 2^10 bytes = 1024 bytes.
When memory is incorrectly calculated in base 10, it turns out like this.
1 kilobyte = 10^3 bytes = 1000 bytes.

Hard drive manufacturers should have advertised their hard disk space in base 2. Instead, they advertised it in base 10, to make it seem as if there was more space in their hard disks.

Eg.
Let's say there you have a hard disk advertised to have 320gb. This is in base 10 because the manufacturers wanted to make it seem it had more.
320GB = 320 * (10^3)^2 bytes = 320,000,000 bytes
If it was correctly labelled to be in base 2, then it would have looked like this.
(320000000)/(2*10)^2 = 305.1757... GB

All computers read memory in base 2 and this is because of binary (I'm not going to explain binary to you. Do computer science or electrical engineering, or read it up on the net).
So all computers read 320GB hard disks as having 305GB. What you're saying is "Oh noes! Where did the other 15GB go?"
It didn't go anywhere. It's still there, but because of the way computers calculate memory, it appears as if there's less memory on the hard disk.

Now Apple, in this stupid new move to appeal to the computer illiterate generation, such as yourself, decided to display everything in base 10. Now, the computers still calculate everything in base 2, as this is how binary works but at the end of all the calculations, it appears in base 10 (nice going Apple).

So now Snow Leopard reads hard disk space the same way the manufacturers labelled them. This does not give them extra space. It is a cosmetic 'upgrade'.

So now am I justified in calling you an idiot?

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
This and I do.

Ubuntu Jaunty all the way.

Although i do admire macs in some ways... but that is why I will be getting e netbook that operates on gOS - basically linux + mac looks but full functionality for me of the best operating system.
That's handy...

Or you could just install Linux Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and you get to select the size of the install :p haha
dude, we get it, you use linux
you don't have to reiterate it every fking time..
you fanatics give the whole community a bad impression

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
No, you do, by swearing a lot.
i disagree. atleast i know that windows isn't based on unix, you don't.
your ignorance constantly astounds me.
No, technically they're based on Unix... Mac stole it and windows stole it and now it's available for all and Mac and Windows make you pay for their versions.

Linux = win = free.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I'll settle this... (pulls superman pose)

Aquawhite... shut up... Linux is good... but not THAT good. It has its limitations, and isn't the best for all situations.

In fact I triple boot Ubuntu 9.04, Windows 7 64-bit and Windows XP 32-bit because of this very reason. No operating system is perfect.

Continuum... Don't aggravate the child... It's a waste of your time and a waste of space on the Bored of Studies server...

mooo

HSC
Point of order...

Snow Leopard is basically a lot of bug fixes with slight visual changes...

Microsoft calls that a service pack and you get it for free...

$40 for a service pack, no thanks.
apparently it is a glorified service pack that they charge you for..... XP SP2 was more of an upgrade then this
are you trying to say that windows 7 isnt an overglorified service pack??
dude, vista was complete fail and windows 7 is just a fancier vista with all the bugs ironed out.

and now tell me, how much does windows charge you for this?
oh thats right, $299 for home premium
and $469 for ultimate

omfg wow.

Teclis

HSC
dude, vista was complete fail and windows 7 is just a fancier vista with all the bugs ironed out.

and $469 for ultimate

omfg wow.
Yes I'm trying to say Windows 7 isn't a glorified service pack.
You're an idiot... Windows 7 was built from the ground up. It was built with a completely different set of work principles to Vista... That's why Windows 7 was a better OS at Beta 1 than ANY operating that I have seen in that stage... including everything Mac, Windows and Linux have produced. It was a better at at RC than XP was at SP2.

Windows 7 is designed to be:

Easy to install (it takes 15 minutes from putting the disk in to getting online... and it will go and find all your drivers from you)
Easy to secure
Easy to use - The new search function is so friggin fast if you have a halfway decent computer. In fact I would put in line with OSX now in the easy to use department.
Ultimate has the ability to VM XP in a 32 bit environment while still using the W7 window.
It is built for the upcoming inevitable move to 64-bit.
It's only that expensive if you're not upgrading from Vista. If you upgrade from your Vista licence, Ultimate is like $200... although the amount of people who would actually NEED ultimate is miniscule (as most people won't use many if at all any of the extra functions)

I've been running it for more than 6 months now and In that time I've had no problems with it that weren't self induced.

OSX, XP and Vista I won't even talk about... Linux is obvious seeing as you have to do it all yourself.

In fact I've had more problems with broken OSX than I have with Windows... and this dude describes the problems perfectly :) YouTube - PC vs Mac

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

and $469 for ultimate

omfg wow.
have you actually used windows 7.. it is not just a polished vista it is so much more anyone who has actually used vista and windows 7 and calls it a service pack is an idiot

EDIT: Also i have found it painful to use both Vista and XP since going to windows 7

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
the reason for this is because it is calculated at 1000MB's = a GB when 1024 MB= a GB

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Incorrect. SL now calculates hard drive apace on base 10 rather than base 2. So for every kilobyte, you gain an extra 24 bytes, multiply that by 1000 for megabytes, then by 1000 per gigabyte, then multiply by hdd size eg 160gb. That's the reason you get lots of space back.
What you are saying is technically correct.

Coupled with the stripping out of PPC contents in binaries for Universal binaries, along with a new method of managing localizations for applications (Centrally) the average size of an application compiled targeting 10.6 is reduced substantially.

Majimaune

HSC
So I bought Snow Leopard about a week ago and some parts of it are nice but some parts are a little disappointing. What is disappointing is not much has changed. What is nice is that it takes up 6GB less disk space than Leopard.

Now if people are trying to say Windows 7 is great, just get a Mac and you'll realise that it has everything that 7 is bringing out. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been because they decided to get off their butts and create a new base for it instead of just basing it off the same thing that 2000 was built on. Vista was a big mistake. Windows 7 is their attempt to catch up to OS X.

Linux is good, it's free, but it does have its limits.

Teclis

HSC
So I bought Snow Leopard about a week ago and some parts of it are nice but some parts are a little disappointing. What is disappointing is not much has changed. What is nice is that it takes up 6GB less disk space than Leopard.
Ooooo... wow 6GB... Oh wait... Apple charge you like $600 for a 500GB HDD... when I can get 10 x 500GB HDDs for the same Price :uhhuh:

Now if people are trying to say Windows 7 is great, just get a Mac and you'll realise that it has everything that 7 is bringing out. quote]

So I can play COD:4 on OSX now? I can play C&C 3? I can run .exe files? I can get a decent AntiVirus for my computer now that Mac have hundres of viruses written for them? OSX now works out what components have driver problems etc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)