SMH Article on Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
'ignorant masses' don't like being called that. It's rather mean.
Only if one acknowledges that they are part of it. We're all part of the mass in some way. As individuals - humans are essentially good. As a herd - humanity is hopeless.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Hitler did in fact describe such a herd mentality, but that's what's scary about it. No ideology of Hitler's was new. The only new thing he did was the scale on which the masses were manipulated, based on the "lowest common denominator" of the herd. So your point proves rather the opposite - the danger of the exploitation of the prejudices of the ignorant masses is still omnipotent.
Hitler was able to take advantage of a unique poltical environment in the form of post-WWI Germany, depression, unemployment, etc.
To claim that something similar could occur today is rather dishonest. You are right though, that the de-humanisation of the 'masses' is nothing new at all.

Also Re: your last post, the group-think mentality is perhaps more prevalent in the Left than among conservatives.

Trogdor_McDoo

Captain Gh3y said:
Where did I say anyone should not pick or choose what they believe?

1. True
2. False
3. Where did I say that?
4. It's in Mein Kampf, I'm not digging up a fucking page reference for you. It's discussed here.
5. What?
6. That's lovely. "Gronk" huh?
7. "I just plain don't like and thus" - so what were you just saying in number 6 about sentences?
8. As per my previous post, you seem to be totally, unquestioningly believing, the propaganda from the Unions and lefties on the IR reforms. (which I assume is what you are referring to by "loss of industrial rights".) What happens to Mr. Critical when he hears something anti-government that sounds appealing to him? SO much for critical analysis then, huh?
Well, since this seem to be the fashion these days, and I'm enjoying this so much, have some numerically ordered points of discussion.

1. Fair enough.
2. Well, yes, obviously.
3. Your use of the phrase "joining the intelligentsia" gives a clear inference of a definite noun, as opposed to an intangible, ie conceptual noun.
4.Ok, again fair enough, though on the other hand, you're working of a translation of the original German used in a secondary source, a practice normally only academically acceptable if the original source no longer exists.
5. Oh come on, that's a clear reference to the recent alleged actions of a Psychological Operations Unit in Afghanistan. This lack of knowledge suggests that you don't even read the news, and thus don't have the opportunity to believe or disbelieve in the first place.
6. "Gronk" is a colloquilalism, yes, but it's not as if I was using formal language, and so it was hardly out of place or incorrect. However, your mistake still stands out like a black in Parliament.
7. Point 6 and 7 are different arguments - one points out that you can't speak English, the other is just blatant abuse, mainly for "funsies", like you know, when you get out your "copy of Teen Queen Magazine" and "make a great big Friends forever collage." Oh no, did I use a text out of context? That was fun.
8. Wow, this from someone who defends the intellectual abilites of the "masses", to rhyme with "proliteriat"? You seem to have missed the point here. I'm not required to think critically, because I have a dicatic purpose. In case you hadn't noticed, I AM THE PROPAGANDA. You are at fault because you pretend impartiality. I make no such pretence, and as a result have no obligation to engage in objective debate.

Finally, in response to your opening, you leave yourself open to exploitation if you accept ANYTHING without criticism. You either have to throw in your chips with one side or the other in an argument, or else you are obliged to look at all available points of view. Accepting one point without criticism is enough, though kudos on the argument. It's a nice change to have a capable opponent for once.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Trogdor_McDoo said:
Well, since this seem to be the fashion these days, and I'm enjoying this so much, have some numerically ordered points of discussion.
1. Fair enough.
2. Well, yes, obviously.
3. Your use of the phrase "joining the intelligentsia" gives a clear inference of a definite noun, as opposed to an intangible, ie conceptual noun.
4.Ok, again fair enough, though on the other hand, you're working of a translation of the original German used in a secondary source, a practice normally only academically acceptable if the original source no longer exists.
5. Oh come on, that's a clear reference to the recent alleged actions of a Psychological Operations Unit in Afghanistan. This lack of knowledge suggests that you don't even read the news, and thus don't have the opportunity to believe or disbelieve in the first place.
6. "Gronk" is a colloquilalism, yes, but it's not as if I was using formal language, and so it was hardly out of place or incorrect. However, your mistake still stands out like a black in Parliament.
7. Point 6 and 7 are different arguments - one points out that you can't speak English, the other is just blatant abuse, mainly for "funsies", like you know, when you get out your "copy of Teen Queen Magazine" and "make a great big Friends forever collage." Oh no, did I use a text out of context? That was fun.
8. Wow, this from someone who defends the intellectual abilites of the "masses", to rhyme with "proliteriat"? You seem to have missed the point here. I'm not required to think critically, because I have a dicatic purpose. In case you hadn't noticed, I AM THE PROPAGANDA. You are at fault because you pretend impartiality. I make no such pretence, and as a result have no obligation to engage in objective debate.

Finally, in response to your opening, you leave yourself open to exploitation if you accept ANYTHING without criticism. You either have to throw in your chips with one side or the other in an argument, or else you are obliged to look at all available points of view. Accepting one point without criticism is enough, though kudos on the argument. It's a nice change to have a capable opponent for once.
3. I was using _dhj_'s original wording, as seen on the first page,
The fact is, the intelligentsia makes up only a very small percentage of society. The masses should be given as much opportunity to join that intelligentsia.
It wasn't my phraseology. By which he/she probably meant 'participating in their activities' rather than 'joining' any actual association or orgnisation.
5. You're probably right. I've just never heard the quote "terrorist wankified terrorist filthy burning bodies in an affront to Islam and international law terrorism"
6 & 7. I'm just saying, don't use my grammar as point of argument when yours is far from perfect.

I think I didn't phrase my original post very well; I should have specifially said that I think ordinary, everyday people are quite capable of being critical about what they see without having studied post-modernism at school.

haack_m

HSC
Look!!!

You Are All Petty Pricks

And Should Get Off Your Soap Boxes

And Just Start Using Your Time More Productively

Jebus

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
From ^^, I have concluded that this particular thread is worthless. Could a moderator please kill it? Now?

haack_m

HSC
ok every1 just get over yourselfs,

this thread is to talk about the english exam, not whatever the fuck your craping on about,

so just grow up, and get a life

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
*sighs* Honey, if the thread is useless, who have you got to blame but yourself? Look, this thread contained intelligent debate (it contained a debate, and intelligent people were posting). It amused several people, and made their lives a better place.
You, by which I mean every person who posted saying "OMFG WTF THIS THREAD WASTE OF SPACE" - you interupt the stream of consciousness.
The proposition has something to do with the fact that is six monkeys were typing at typewriters, they would eventually produce the complete works of shakespeare...

danni8u

hi children
um i was one of the people that was interviewed in that article...and the media definitely cant be trusted,
firstly, he screwed up some of the stuff that was said, eg. some of the stuff montana was said to have said, i actually said...the stuff bout being cynical bout the media, and i said that learning bout hamlet/ r n g are dead, did become philosphical and interesting. and secondly he made me look like a total bimbo moron "the media lies" what a dick...we all know that and i didnt even say that...then he says "daniella says, to make the point nice and clear" thanx bastard...yea ok look i think learning english is subjective...i enjoyed some aspects...if i didnt learn ros. and guil. then i wouldve HATED hamlet...but watever, each to their own...good luck guys and stop bad mouthing my friend

Theodopolis

HSC
_dhj_ said:
As individuals - humans are essentially good. As a herd - humanity is hopeless.

I enjoy paraphrasing Tommy Lee Jones as much as the next guy, but for God's sake, do we always have to bring it back to Hitler? (Officially termed 'Godwin's Law')
Let's bring it closer to home: Everyone's favourite new sleepy-looking friend - The Hon. Morris Iemma MP, suddenly the No.1 Sydney Swans fan overnight.

Also Trogdor, lay off Yeats... the guy was a 59 year old virgin - He had every reason to complain.

AlabasterMan

HSC
Schroedinger said:
zOMG REYULLY DUZ DE MEDIYAR LYE?!?!?!?!??!?!?! ZOMFG WE MUST GET CAPTARN ENGLISH TO SAEV US FROM THIS MONSTROSITEE! ZOMFG U HAVE OPENEED MAY EYES 2 DIS HOW CAN I YEVAR REPAY 2! ZOmG FAnks!
Now now, Schroedinger, don't bite the hand that fed this thread in the first place. There are better people to insult. Speaking of which...

AlabasterMan

HSC
haack_m said:
ok u really need to get out

like serioulsy, just go TONIGHT
Go AWAY. You interupted our thread and filled it with a particularly low quality brand of shit. See the other names around yours? Does seeing your posts in the middle give you that semi-erotic feeling of belonging? Wanna play with the big boys now?
Its an illusion; you, like your opinions, will never be wanted.

haack_m

HSC
its ok, you just keep sitting in front of your computer thinking your top shit...

when in fact you need to get out and experience the world, and discover that there is more to senseless bitching about a newspaper article

ENGLISH IS OVER, NOW GET OVER IT

AlabasterMan

HSC
haack_m said:
its ok, you just keep sitting in front of your computer thinking your top shit...

when in fact you need to get out and experience the world, and discover that there is more to senseless bitching about a newspaper article

ENGLISH IS OVER, NOW GET OVER IT
Jesus Christ, actually read the posts. We're not bitching about the article, we're insulting you. Now I don't think you got my drift. FUCK OFF.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
That's a good point. If people don't understand what is discussed in a thread, they don't have to take their frustrations out on those who are discussing it. The choice is there - either join the discussion properly or ignore it.

danni8u

go and study!!! you guys have no lives...esp the ones who have posted more than 100 posts....you guys are sad

Theodopolis

HSC
danni8u said:
go and study!!! you guys have no lives...esp the ones who have posted more than 100 posts....you guys are sad

Speak for yourself...
We're not the ones making a complete embarrassment of ourselves in the Herald.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
omg hi danniella.....yeh i know you. (All tks guys know you...yeah aint we wierd)

But yeh, thats exactly why i refuse to speak to the media. They take what you actually said, add hyperbole, and churn it out as your real opinion. bleh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)