Small textbiook contradiction, or misunderstanding? (1 Viewer)

Venetiad

HSC
Ok, so we're aware that King chose when and where Sparta goes to war. Correct? Any violation of this is outlawry. So, my textbook also has it that the Ekklesia is responsible for making descisions on peace and war. I don't get it, isn't the King's authority absolute in the matter of war? Why would the Ekklesia get that power? Coming from Antiquity 2

Rachygurl

HSC
When we did sparta we learnt that it was the Ephors, the Gerousia and the Kings who could call for war and peace.. Not the ekklesia. So i dont know what the textbook is on about!! But the kings had ultimate authority over the matterHope this helps =)

Venetiad

HSC
Thanks, yeah it makes so much more sense to accept that the King had the authority. Haha, so retarded.

sanssouci

HSC
N/A
Im sorry, is there a all contradiction or misundertanding in your thread's title? "Textbiook"??Also, you are both wrong, the Gerousia made decisions on whether to go to war (two kings were both memebers of the 30-strong Gerousia). So it was essentially the Gerousia that made the decision, although the King's participation in the Gerousia is what allowed it to make that choice.Band 6 Headed my way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)