Sleep patterns & Plan of attacks (1 Viewer)

DheerChoudhury

HSC
What is your sleep looking like in the lead-up to an exam, and what is your tangible plan of attack on the day?

spill

HSC
sleep 2200
wake 0600
same as when it's not in the lead-up to an exam. having a good amount of sleep consistently with the same waking time keeps your head fit. no point in exchanging sleep time for study time because your sleep will be worse and you won't study as effectively.

plan of attack is showing up to do the exams and then going home

notme123

HSC
What is your sleep looking like in the lead-up to an exam, and what is your tangible plan of attack on the day?
before your exam just write a lot until your hand writing speed reaches its max. you don't want the first thing to be writing that day to be your answers. i find my handwriting is often clunky and slow when i dont write anything beforehand

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
cant function if I don’t get sleep, have been getting solid 8 hours for the past week to get myself mentally and physically ready for exams.
this is very good

for those who weren't able to up their hours of sleep this past week, make sure to at least get enough sleep the night before HSC. for me 6 hours was the norm throughout yr12 but on nights before HSC I definitely tried to sleep more, if you wake up tired esp for an afternoon exam it's not gonna be good for you

also for those who usually skip breakfast or have an insufficient breakfast, make sure to have a proper carb rich one on HSC mornings. cereal+milk is a classic, or any low GI foods that will break down a lot slower in your body and keep you full for longer

another piece of advice don't be frantically flipping through your notes right before HSC, at that point just accept that there's nothing else you can do, try to relax and simply chill bcz nothing you try to learn outside the hall is gonna stick in ur brain you're gonna be too anxious and jumpy

icycledough

HSC
this is very good

for those who weren't able to up their hours of sleep this past week, make sure to at least get enough sleep the night before HSC. for me 6 hours was the norm throughout yr12 but on nights before HSC I definitely tried to sleep more, if you wake up tired esp for an afternoon exam it's not gonna be good for you

also for those who usually skip breakfast or have an insufficient breakfast, make sure to have a proper carb rich one on HSC mornings. cereal+milk is a classic, or any low GI foods that will break down a lot slower in your body and keep you full for longer

another piece of advice don't be frantically flipping through your notes right before HSC, at that point just accept that there's nothing else you can do, try to relax and simply chill bcz nothing you try to learn outside the hall is gonna stick in ur brain you're gonna be too anxious and jumpy
It's interesting you mention that last point because for me, I found the study I did the morning of the exam (where I would normally get up really early to have a quick read of my notes) helped me with remembering key details or quotes. Also just getting used to writing before English so you are prepared to write for 2 hours straight.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
It's interesting you mention that last point because for me, I found the study I did the morning of the exam (where I would normally get up really early to have a quick read of my notes) helped me with remembering key details or quotes. Also just getting used to writing before English so you are prepared to write for 2 hours straight.
ah no that's cool, waking up early and studying in the morning is great

I meant like once ur at school sitting or standing outside the hall, I used to see ppl isolated in the corner flipping through their notes, n in my head I'd think pls what use is that gonna do for you I really doubt this literally "last minute" study is gonna help you by much, you're too anxious to retain any of that just let it go

personally during those minutes outside the hall I'd chat w my friends we'd say good luck to each other, hype each other up, exchange tips and advice and game plans, we also prayed together lol and overall lighten the mood a bit bcz everyone's feeling tense and jittery, you might as well spend those moments smiling (even if it's thru the pain) not frantically studying, adrenaline is good for exams but so is serotonin

icycledough

HSC
ah no that's cool, waking up early and studying in the morning is great

I meant like once ur at school sitting or standing outside the hall, I used to see ppl isolated in the corner flipping through their notes, n in my head I'd think pls what use is that gonna do for you I really doubt this literally "last minute" study is gonna help you by much, you're too anxious to retain any of that just let it go

personally during those minutes outside the hall I'd chat w my friends we'd say good luck to each other, hype each other up, exchange tips and advice and game plans, we also prayed together lol and overall lighten the mood a bit bcz everyone's feeling tense and jittery, you might as well spend those moments smiling (even if it's thru the pain) not frantically studying, adrenaline is good for exams but so is serotonin
Ahhh, yh that makes a lot more sense. Definitely agree with that as well, the last few minutes I was like no point in trying to retain anything, might as well just hang with friends to calm down the nerves. At the end of the day, you're going to be much more nervous being on your own, and even if you are able to get a few tips from friends, that could get you 1 or 2 more marks, which can be crucial especially in the external exams where collective success is key.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I find it more peaceful in the night, there's something calming about crickets chirping at 1 am, but tbf I don't really get work done. I would wake up at 4 am just for the sunrise and the birds chirping but its wayy too cold for it to be worth it imo.

cloud_berry

HSC
idk anymore , i switch between going to bed at 1 am and then 10 pm and then end up tired throughout the day because it’s so random

DheerChoudhury

HSC
cant function if I don’t get sleep, have been getting solid 8 hours for the past week to get myself mentally and physically ready for exams.
I think I have this on my mind but on a smaller scale. For the 3 days in the lead-up to an exam, I plan to get a solid 8 hours instead of my usual 7 hours (is 7 bad?).

DheerChoudhury

HSC
before your exam just write a lot until your hand writing speed reaches its max. you don't want the first thing to be writing that day to be your answers. i find my handwriting is often clunky and slow when i dont write anything beforehand
Good idea. Do you reckon they'll be happy to mark hieroglyphics? Because that's what I'm writing in :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)