• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sleep patterns - Late night study (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
I've read that generally you need at least 7-8 hours sleep. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I've noticed that once you get used to staying up late you tend to be able to do it more easily once you get into the pattern. (I'm talking about getting say 7 to 7.5 hours rather than about 8.5 - 9 hours). So, what do you guys think about staying up later each night in order to study? I do know that different people can find it easier to study at different times of day.

Oh yeah and another thing, I've noticed that when I stay up too late, my eyes can be twitching the next day.(maybe not the actual eye itself, but its just like a twitching sensation) Does this happen to you ?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I stay up too late too often but I usually catch up on the weekend... If you're in the mood and thoughts are flowing then stay up by all means, as long as you can sleep in the next morning or go to bed early the next night. Unless if you've got an exam the next day.

PLooB

HSC
Sacrificing sleep isn't a good idea. You will have less focus and you will be not operating at 100% the next day. IMO get as much sleep as you can, at the same time make sure you finish what you want to accomplish that day and if you don't have time then instead of watching TV or something study.

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
Sleep is good :p. I'd study latest till midnight. You need a good night's rest before your exams. :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
after 9pm every night, i just cannot stay awake, let alone study!! my body just shuts down. I wake up at 7:30am. So thats 9.5 hours every night. I sleep good. However, i'm still tired, a lot. :S

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i uusally get 5hrs sleep a night, but im stuck in a pattern of sleeping a few hrs in the arvo then sleeping at like 2am, i want to get out of it but my body as been used to it doing study and assessments.

i would like to sleep about 7-8 hrs though :D

tennille

HSC
shortygb said:
i uusally get 5hrs sleep a night, but im stuck in a pattern of sleeping a few hrs in the arvo then sleeping at like 2am, i want to get out of it but my body as been used to it doing study and assessments.

i would like to sleep about 7-8 hrs though :D
You should sleep longer :p

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
hmm.. normally i get about 8 hours of sleep
about 7 on extension maths days
and about 3 on trial days...

jdrockefeller

HSC
Usually get about 8-9 hours of sleep a day. A mate got me onto a study program that has me doing 2.5 hrs in the morning, then an hour to two hours in the afternoon.

Usually finished all study by 7:30pm-8pm and in bed by 9pm-9:30pm. There is simply no point studying late at night as your mind isn't as alert as it is in the morning.

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
I feel different every night. Sometimes I go to bed at 10 while other times I feel I can keep going all night. The problem is my parents always scream at me at midnight for doing an english essay which I'm doing and then the next day I can't think of anything to write even though I know I would have been able to finish it the night before. Damm parents, doing everything they can to stop me from getting a good hsc mark!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I get over 8 hours of sleep each night
<3 my sleep!

IcEy

HSC
This week, trials were on.

6 exams in these last four days. So happy they're over. I practially stopped eating in the week before exams. I'd get home at 5, work till 10, eat. Go to sleep at 10:30 and get up at like..7 and it starts it all over again the next day. I was able to keep it up for a week, and then I started sleeping more cause it was exam week.

I lost 3 kilos in two weeks! Jenny would be proud....but now, it's time to put it all back on

:-D

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
the earliest i've slep this year is 12:00 midnight

my body is just used to it...whther i finsih studying or not.. i just can't sleep any earlier

however that may chnage during StuVac

and recently during the trials ive been getting 4-5 hours sleep on the nights when i have exams the next day and 7 when i don't

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I get at least 6 hours of sleep every night. It isn't much, but sleeping in every now and then helps me cope with it.

Sleeping extraodinarily late is fine, as long as you can keep it up. People who usually have a "normal" sleeping pattern shouldn't stay up until 3 am to finish studying for the exam next day - if you don't know your stuff, a few hours of midnight-revision won't make up for it.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I don't work after 9:30, usually relax and watch some tv.
I have been getting like 5hours a night first 3 days of exams(couldn't fall asleep), but slept heaps well last night, solid 13 hours when no exam the next day :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I study the best at night, like right now :p but the problem is that I travel so far to uni, that if I don't go to sleep before midnight, I have no energy within one day of traveling to and from uni. I've sorta altered my study patterns so I can do work in the mornings and on the way home from uni. Generally I sleep about 7 hours each night, except when weekends come around, I tend to sleep for more than 12 hours cause I have absolutely no energy.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I can only work at night. I just cant during the day for some reason.

I usually get 3-4 hours of sleep on week nights (7-8 on weekends).

I cannot do any school work before around 8pm......

tennille

HSC
Deus said:
I can only work at night. I just cant during the day for some reason.

I usually get 3-4 hours of sleep on week nights (7-8 on weekends).

I cannot do any school work before around 8pm......
Yeah, I've noticed that I always study better at night. Then I start to feel sleep after about 10ish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)