Skrzynecki Poems + Related Material (1 Viewer)

aurel

HSC
Does anyone know some good related material that relate to any of the Skrzynecki poems?

Also, is it true that your not allowed to use different BOS prescribed text as your related material?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
aurel said:
Also, is it true that your not allowed to use different BOS prescribed text as your related material?
Of course you can't. You only have 1 prescribed text and you use it, you use only one from the stim booklet, and the related material (you must do at least one) CANNOT be your core text or from the stim booklet and has to also relate to the type of journey you're studying.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
something to do with migration and stuffz like that... like war movies or something.. buh nothing too mainstream

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hello aurel,

In regards to your question, in Area of study, the BOS recommends this:

> 1 Stimulus related text (From your Journeys Booklet)
> 1 Area of Study Prescribed text (This one is chosen by your teacher)
> At least 1 related text (outside of anything prescribed by BOS)

So, lol 'related texts' may be quite a big arena. Seeing that you're doing Skrzynecki like I did this year, I would recommend for the Stimulus text:

• Journeys over Land & Sea by Smithsonian Libraries
  • Robert Frost's Poem
  • The town where time stands still

You may choose Ivory Trail if you wish, however most teachers regard this text as an 'overused' text, so if you want to stand out in the HSC, try and avoid this one, unless if you can state a thousand words of this picture.

Journeys over Land & Sea is comprehensive enough due to the reason that it has both text and graphics to help support your essay in HSC, as for this I would recommend you to head to smithsonian libraries and find out exactly what those 2 images represent, haha I found some rather interesting information on those. In fact, I used this one for my hsc.

Robert Frost's Poem has been used by many, but once again poetry is a really chancy piece of material, if you know it well, and understand it, then use it. If not, then avoid it, especially if your teacher doesn't even bother explaining it with you line by line in class.

The Town where time stands still, this text, is a really unique one, some really 'imaginative students' in my school used this one in our Trials, and totally killed it. This is because, in essays as I'm sure you all know, is made of an essence or basis known as the Thesis, and that thesis you'll need to sustain throughout your entire AOS essay. And in this short extract, the genii loci is that substance, so if you can identify it, its almost like finding gold in a haystack for your HSC AOS essay. Though don't sit there and think, how to exactly use a thesis, time will come when you'll know what type of thesis you want, or even not use, for don't forget, the HSC can ask you any type of question.

---------------------------------

Now, to head onto externally related material, yes although it says At least one, don't do one, do 2. Keep them in your mind till your HSC, for you never know, it could ask you 2 related texts, or like in 2005 at least 1. Be sure to know that, if the question does ask at least one text, that you aim to do 1 first, then slip it into the end if you have the time, I knew some people who aimed to do 2 related texts, but they focussed so much on it, they lost track of time.

My related materials were:

Seven Years into Tibet (Which I'll put up on BOS forum soon) - my notes
Mao's Last Dancer

You may want to consider these as well:

Since you're still year 11, I would highly recommend you to start searching for texts, the more interesting the better your exam mark will be, as the marker will think "Whoa this student has finally gotten something unique, not some boring movie or narrative used by everyone". So...an example would be to have a look at IMAX, they have ALOT of journeys, and for those who know bittorrent *nudge nudge* try searching for IMAX movies for download, seeing that you can't purchase them, or rent them.

Others could be:

Miyazaki's Spirited Away
Some Newspaper article on heading somewhere - Though it must have alot of descriptive phrases in there, for you to use.

Finally, lol DO NOT use castaway, this has been brought up many times, yes it has alot of symbolism, but this text has been disregarded by examiners as being a text that students rarely ever interpret correctly, probably because symbolism in that movie can be interpreted in a variety of ways, and some ways that English Examiners DO NOT like.

Good luck with your HSC next year...

aurel

HSC
uh oh...

I've got cast away as one my current related material's right now...mainly cause i've got an AOS assignment due on friday and i needed something quick + easy to analyse. Not that i've even started writing up the assignment though....but i'd like to know (in more detail if possible) why i shouldn't use this. In wat ways dont we interpret this text properly? Although, truth is, come the xmas hols, i'll probably be looking for something better anyway...but still curious to know. thanks

s1mplykat

HSC
KandyKid05 said:
Peter S is such a grumpy man.
anyway i related it to war and death and how war and death could be a final destination in a physical journey because we experience them physically. haha im not sure if that made sense. okay back to legal studies.
-mika
KANDY KID! hemika is this you?? omg man.. our assessment is due on thursday! *faints...
anyway.. i think you meant to say

how through being in an environment of war and death through a physical journey eg. being captured and transported on those trains to the detention camps in world war 2, can emotionally traumatize your future physical journey eg.
Skrzynecki`s poem 'immigrants at central station'...

am i right? Cuz im not even sure what i said made sense either..
allwells...
see you tOmorrow
-kat

tramanh

HSC
N/A
wat is "representation of the journey'?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)