Skipping Lectures (1 Viewer)

Jonneeh

HSC
Does it really make a difference?

Sometimes the conditions are unbearable:bomb:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
i have done better in some units that i skipped lectures than some i didnt skip lectures

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lectures aren't required if you have the resources+can self teach

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Does it really make a difference?

Sometimes the conditions are unbearable:bomb:
Does your relevant subject lecture have podcasts available online? If so, listen to them at home. Best conditions. :) If not, skip them anyway (that's if you're actually going to self study at home).

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I have 8 hours of lectures a week but only attend 5. Getting up at 5AM on a Friday to go to three early, one hour lectures (it takes me three hours to get to UNSW) just isn't worth it.

If all the material is online, and you're capable of teaching yourself (which isn't hard unless you're a mindless automaton) then I personally think you could easily get by attending < 50% of your lectures.

Please note, however, that I do Econs/Arts. I'm sure mathematics subjects would require more explanation and thus, lecture time.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I have 8 hours of lectures a week but only attend 5. Getting up at 5AM on a Friday to go to three early, one hour lectures (it takes me three hours to get to UNSW) just isn't worth it.

If all the material is online, and you're capable of teaching yourself (which isn't hard unless you're a mindless automaton) then I personally think you could easily get by attending < 50% of your lectures.

Please note, however, that I do Econs/Arts. I'm sure mathematics subjects would require more explanation and thus, lecture time.
That is weak. 8 hours is nothing a week and yet you still bludge out and not attend. Try doing 24 hours of lectures/tutes a week mate before you can even think about complaining.

glache

HSC
N/A
Depends. I never studied outside of attending the lecture and stuvac, so it was important for me to. It's easier for me to motivate myself to go and "feel that I'm at uni", so to speak, than it is for me to sit in front of a computer and rewind a lecture 10,000x over. Though I do agree attending a lecture doesn't mean you won't have to go back to Lectopia anyway, if that lecture was that bad. Arceupins, you couldn't have customised your timetable to start later?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If it doesn't suit, don't go. You can get by without going to them. Just make sure you stay on top of your coursework.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
That is weak. 8 hours is nothing a week and yet you still bludge out and not attend. Try doing 24 hours of lectures/tutes a week mate before you can even think about complaining.
Clearly you've misunderstood my rationale. Do you have to spend 3 hours getting to uni, and then 3 hours getting home each day? I spend 18+ hours a week sitting on buses and trains to go to 12 hours worth of classes.

I did not complain about going to lectures. I said that I, personally, could not be fucked getting up at 5AM on a Friday to go to morning lectures. I also explained that I think skipping lectures doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

How you've managed to misconstrue this and actually think I'm complaining about my minimal timetable I will never know.

Please think before you post next time because you look like a ridiculous idiot.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
clearly you need to move closer to uni 6hrs back and forth is not sustainable

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Clearly you've misunderstood my rationale. Do you have to spend 3 hours getting to uni, and then 3 hours getting home each day? I spend 18+ hours a week sitting on buses and trains to go to 12 hours worth of classes.

I did not complain about going to lectures. I said that I, personally, could not be fucked getting up at 5AM on a Friday to go to morning lectures. I also explained that I think skipping lectures doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

How you've managed to misconstrue this and actually think I'm complaining about my minimal timetable I will never know.

Please think before you post next time because you look like a ridiculous idiot.
Where the hell do you live? Newcastle?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Remember you're responding to davidbarnes

shady145

Banned
HSC
no you don't need to go to them... last semester i went to just one lecture a week. gmat1110... gmat1110 was my lowest mark for that semester.

fishfingerz

HSC
I only skip lectures if I haven't done the prior reading and stuff. It's really hard to stay focused otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)