• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Skinning of website? (1 Viewer)

Callistogenic

HSC
I'm a little clueless to doing this, and was just wondering whether anyone on the community had any experience with doing so.

Thanks guys!

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
Well, to skin a website...

First, you gotta kill the website.
Then, you take off the <head> so that all the content falls out...
The next step is to make a cut around the <body> so that you can take the formatting and colour off...

Be sure to wash yourself and teh website thoroughly both before and after this procedure. You don't want to get any <Javascript> stains on you!

====

I guess you mean that you want to know how to design a webpage. Possibly just customising a generic template page. Be more specific as to what you're actually trying to do...
There'll be no shortage of people who know how to do it.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i tihnk u have to use CGI or soemtihng.
No you don't. CGI is for server-side processing.

sladehk

le random
HSC
If you mean skinning of sites such as forums, some forums offer to let you view the site under different skins. Look at the left bottom of the page and you can select skins to view the forum under.

Callistogenic

HSC
Nono. Okay, I guess I should explain exactly why I'm asking for help:

I'm designing a website. Rather than having to implement a skinning engine later on into the project, I'd rather get it out of the way and improve it as time goes on.

There's only two online tutorials of how to skin a site, and I've found them fairly unintuitive, so that's why I ask the Bored.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
css is an easy way of doing it if you are not running the actual server yourself (which is sort of needed if you are talking php CMS)..if you dont have access to the php side of the server or to a sql database (eg a freebie website), css is an easier way of not only controling the look of the site but implementing site wide chages in one hit when required IMO

http://www.csszengarden.com/ as an example of what Im talking about

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
CSS is the easy way of doing it, if your site consists purely of solid colours in areas. Otherwise if you're using images, you could do some JavaScript to do it, or if your using a server-side language it would be easy as well.

One way in which i deploy is.

Colour Scheme is saved as a simple cookie string.

When the site loads, the cookie is retrieved and loads the images from the particular folder based on the colour scheme, for example

ColourScheme\background.gif

Where ColourScheme is what the cookie value would be.

So if there exists a cookie value "Red"

Red\background.gif.

So for every colour scheme, you just have a folder called Red with the images located inside the folder.

Simple.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
jonathan109 said:
CSS is the easy way of doing it, if your site consists purely of solid colours in areas. Otherwise if you're using images, you could do some JavaScript to do it, or if your using a server-side language it would be easy as well.

One way in which i deploy is.

Colour Scheme is saved as a simple cookie string.

When the site loads, the cookie is retrieved and loads the images from the particular folder based on the colour scheme, for example

ColourScheme\background.gif

Where ColourScheme is what the cookie value would be.

So if there exists a cookie value "Red"

Red\background.gif.

So for every colour scheme, you just have a folder called Red with the images located inside the folder.

Simple.
you can use css for images...look at the site I referenced

javascript is dodgy as it works differently depending upon your browser and platform

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Using php:

Create template design. This will be your design for every page. Leave placeholders for the data such as content.

Using php you could "include" content pages which could simply be text. Just a couple of if or case satements would be required.

It's really simple if you know the basics of php.

An simpler alternative would be to use frames (they can be invisible if you want too).

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
if you could tell us abit more about what server you plan on sticking your website on - it will probally make it easier for us to help you!
if you have a server at a ISP for example, chances are its running Apache with PHP. You might have to sus this out with who your getting your hosting through.

Callistogenic

HSC
JimmyK said:
if you could tell us abit more about what server you plan on sticking your website on - it will probally make it easier for us to help you!
if you have a server at a ISP for example, chances are its running Apache with PHP. You might have to sus this out with who your getting your hosting through.
Yes, it supports all server-side languages, the problem is, I don't know how to code in PHP, and MySQL. (Basically, my knowledge extends to knowing what the acronym's mean:p)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dreamcaster said:
Yes, it supports all server-side languages, the problem is, I don't know how to code in PHP, and MySQL. (Basically, my knowledge extends to knowing what the acronym's mean:p)
I recommend you try css then...there are a numebr of good wysiwyg css editors out there..though I dont know how they handle image placement if that is a priority

yes, I know...Im repeating myself but blah....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)