skin problems...fixed?! (1 Viewer)

xoxo

HSC
hmm well a few months ago i read an article in....cosmo i think it was...well whatever it was soem magazine...and it said that you skin goes thru an eight week cycle....so what you are doing now will effect it in 8 weeks....

at that time i had just bought a new cleanser - the loreal pure zone stuff.... after asking around on here there were alot of people who said it didnt work, made things worse etc etc and i had serious doubts about whether or not i had wasted my money....but in the end i am VERY glad i stuck with it...at first i noticed it brought out many of my under-the-skin-pimples....but in these past two months my face has cleared up SOOOO much and is improving everyday...

basically though, what im trying to say is:

1. try everything once....what doesnt work for others just may work for you
2. cheap doesnt ALWAYS mean bad
3. expensive doesnt always mean good
4. give your skin time to adapt to the chemicals ur putting on it...give it time to WORK....god knows how many products i have tried over the years that i only did for like 2 weeks....give it 2 -3 months before u make up your mind what has and hasnt worked...
and lastly
5. drink drink drink...nothing is better than water for you

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's so true that some skin treatments will initially make your skin worse. But it just kind of draws the stuff out of your skin, so it can renew itself and look purdy.

I've changed my skin routine, and it looks much better now than it has for the past few months.

- I changed to a heavier night moisturiser, because I was waking up with dry skin
- Started using witch hazel
- Started taking skin/hair/nails supplements.
- Using Clean&Clear Morning Glow moisturiser during the day. It has sunscreen, but is still light.

Some combination of these things has made my skin much better. Or maybe my body has adjusted to the pill after 4 months? Maybe I'm just finally growing out of my bad skin? I don't know, but my skin sure feels awesome these days.

That said, my skin wasn't that bad. Just half a dozen huge, blind monsters on my chin every few weeks.

xoxo

HSC
scarybunny said:
- I changed to a heavier night moisturiser, because I was waking up with dry skin
- Started using witch hazel
- Started taking skin/hair/nails supplements.
- Using Clean&Clear Morning Glow moisturiser during the day. It has sunscreen, but is still light.
witch hazel is the best....mixed with a little bit of tea tree oil it has also worked wonders on my skin...

what are these supplements? what do they do? where can i get them and how much? my nails look so manky ever since i have started work...i wanna get them all ncie and strong again...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Herron makes a combined supplement specifically for hair, skin and nails. Go to the supplement part of your supermarket (same place as shampoo, moisturiser, pads etc). I think it cost maybe $13 for 40 odd tablets.
They are huge motherfucking things though, that smell like a fart. They just have various vitamins and minerals that you might be lacking in, that help maintain shiny hair, strong nails and clear skin. Zinc and such.

Of course, in order to see any effect on your nails, they'll have to grow out so it'll take a while. My hair and skin have improved, though.

HSC
i think skin treatments are a waste of money. those who say diet has no effect on your skin, they are very ignorant people.

i had moderate acne for a while, took a drug called accutane and got rid of it. then i had a few pimples pop up and i noticed they only did when i binged on coke and ate a lot of kfc. whenever i stopped, my skin stayed clear.

try it people. but if your skin is quite bad then see a dermatologist for some proper medicine, not the pussy over the counter crap..

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah, my parents were sick last week so we ate takeaway a lot, and my skin has gotten a bit dodge. But some people are just mildly allergic to things- I know my best friend very rarely ate chocolate because her skin reacted badly to it.

Still, the supplements have helped (or one of the other things I started doing). I don't need antibiotics (plus they would clash with the pill), and sometimes it's just hard to have a balanced diet.

But the best things are witch hazel and water and sleep.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
You have to be careful with taking supplements. A lot of people take zinc to help get rid of acne, which apparently works well. But taking what your body doesn't lack can have negative effects in the long term.

Anyway my skin has been pretty clear for awhile now, probably because I eat healthy and drink plenty of water.

Witch Hazel kills my skin. For some reason I've become extremely sensitive to alcohol-based products. They irritate my skin like nothing else so I stay away from them.

pete_mate

HSC
bullshit abides about acne, companies exploiting myths, and general uncertainty.

just read the official dermitologists website.

http://www.dermcoll.asn.au/public/a-z_of_skin-acne.asp

"There are many myths surrounding acne.

The first myth is that acne somehow is an allergy. Acne is not an allergic disease.

Another myth relates to diet. It was often though that chocolates, dairy foods, citrus fruits, cola and various other foods and beverages somehow cause acne. Most patients with acne realise that changing their diet does not eradicate their acne.

Naturally patients with acne should continue to observe a healthy diet but occasional "indiscretions" will not cause further acne lesions to develop.

Another myth is that acne is an infectious disease. It is true that antibiotics are used in the treatment of acne but acne is not an infectious disease. It is not contagious and cannot be spread to other people.

A further myth is that acne is due to lack of cleanliness. Acne is not caused by lack of cleanliness and in fact excessive cleaning and scrubbing can make acne worse.

A final myth is that sunlight is beneficial for acne. Most dermatologists agree that sunlight and ultraviolet light has no beneficial effect in the treatment of acne.

In fact sunlight and ultraviolet light may cause premature ageing and skin cancer and should not be recommended as treatment for acne.

A number of medications may actually cause acne or make it worse and the over-use of oily cosmetics can also precipitate acne.

Individual pimples take up to 2 or 3 months to form even though they may appear to pop up overnight. Thus although there is often some initial improvement in the first few weeks after starting a new treatment, it takes at least 2-3 months of regular use before you can assess the full benefit of any acne treatment.

"

Last edited:

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Yeah, I don't knwo what to do about my skin. It shits me off. My acne started to get better in Year 11 and now it is getting really bad again. Alot of friends have said that stress affects your skin, but that's not the same for me. My level of stress really has nothing to do with my acne. But I don't know how to fix it. It's not like my face is dirty or anything either. I do wear make-up but I wash and moistourise my face day and night and my make-up says it "won't clog pores". I use Clearasil Morning Burst and the Blackhead scrub in the morning. Then I moistourise my face with some other clearasil one. Then at night, I use morning burst again (it feels good) and moisturise my face with the morning fresh moistouriser! And it still doesn't go away. I don't want to go on drugs (I will if I have to though). And my diet doesn't affect my face that much really (unless I eat way too much junk food). But yeah, it really pisses me off. I also used that Pro-Aciv stuff, and it didn't help that much. Maybe I have a hormone problem...meh, I don't know...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I think a lot of it is good ol' puberty. It can take a while for your skin to clear up, just because it has to adjust to all the hormones flying around.

Mr Lovepony

HSC
Jesus, I'm glad puberty's over cos my skin's clearing up now.
I beg you, please, don't squeeze, although it might be hard as hell. You'll end up with moon craters when you could have had fine skin at the end.

HSC
N/A
My skin was never really bad, aside from a few blemishes maybe once a month. After Yr 12 though, I think I went through some final stage of puberty - body curved out a bit and my skin really started to settle down :) (I've always eaten healthy, so in my mind the only thing it could really be is hormones)

HSC
the so called myths may actually be true causes of acne. what you people dont realise is that acne is the result of a combination of several factors. so if you change your diet and dont see a difference in your skin, it doesnt mean diet has no effect on acne, it means that there is also something else wrong with your body.

to treat acne, rather then throw money down the drain and buy stupid acne treatments, figure out what you think are potential causes of acne, there should be a few, and under each one, write a way to prevent it.

eg.
Stress - Meditate
Diet - Eat healthy
Dry skin - dont overwash, use a moisturizer
hormones - wait till puberty is over (try not to masterbate often)
etc etc

and when you stop ALL potential causes for at least 3 months, and STILL get acne, only THEN have you disproved myths. you cannot disprove them independantly. catch my drift?

HSC
because masterbation, mainly orgasm, correlates with the release of hormones in the body. u idiot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)