• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sketching gradient/primitive functions (1 Viewer)

UTRazilBay

HSC
So I'm having trouble sketching gradient/primitive functions of different curves. Are there a set of rules I can follow in order to sketch different derivatives/primitives. The only one I really know is that when there is an x-intercept, the gradient function converts that intercept into a stationary point. I don't know how the rest of the curve is formed, I usually just differentiate the given equation and sketch the new one but when there is no give equation I struggle a little bit. So can anyone provide a set of rules that I can use when sketching both gradient and primitive functions?

imsleepyz

HSC
You observe the gradient/slope of the graph given to you. If you were to sketch the primitive of the graph, for eg. if the original graph had a +ve gradient, you would draw a primitive with y">0 (concavity) so both gradients are equal.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
So I'm having trouble sketching gradient/primitive functions of different curves. Are there a set of rules I can follow in order to sketch different derivatives/primitives. The only one I really know is that when there is an x-intercept, the gradient function converts that intercept into a stationary point. I don't know how the rest of the curve is formed, I usually just differentiate the given equation and sketch the new one but when there is no give equation I struggle a little bit. So can anyone provide a set of rules that I can use when sketching both gradient and primitive functions?
Don't have much time, so will provide you with the greatest hint (for me) with drawing primitives: divide the curve into vertical strips, with a faint line passing through each x-int and TP. Then fill in the blanks =].

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
To draw a primitive, analyse the original curve, this curve's y-values are the primitive's gradients. If the y-value is high positive, then the gradient of the curve of the primitive is also a high positive value. IF the curve for example, approaches a value of 1 at infinity (asymptote), then the primitive, approaches a gradient of 1 at infinity, so you would get an inclined asymptote, that looks like y=x curve. This came in an exam of ours and had many people stumped. Also, if the value of the original curve is LOW, then the gradient of the primitive, is a negative value as well.

So as a general rule of thumb when sketching primitive functions. Is that when the original curve is:

Above the x-axis ----> The primitive curve is sloping upwards, so its going upwards (increasing y-value).
Below the x-axis -----> The primitive curve is sloping downwards, so its going downwards (decreasing y-value)
At the x-axis ----> Results in the primitive curve having a maximum, minimum or a horizontal point of inflection.

** Remember, if the curve passes the x-axis from positive to negative, then the primitive is maximum at that point, if it passes through the x-axis going from negative to positive then the primitive is a minimum at that point. If it just touches the x-axis and goes back up again, then its a hor. point of inflection.

Gradient Curve

Its the complete opposite of primitive. Here is the "rule of thumb"

Sloping upwards (increasing y-value) ---> gradient curve is above the x-axis
Sloping Downwards (decreasing y-value) ----> gradient curve is below the x-axis
Stationary Point (gradient = 0 ) ----> gradient curve is an intercept, if its a hor.point of inflection at the original curve, the intercept is the result of the curve "bouncing off" the x-axis

As you can see its the complete opposite, whatever is in bold if you remeber that, you can derive EVERYTHING else. In fact, if you use this definition that I made for simplicity:

"A curve's primitive function's gradient is equal to the value of the original curve at that point, vice versa with the original curve's gradient becoming the gradient curve's y-value"

Using that, you can derive this whole topic.

Edit: If it ever comes up, for some reason, if your original function has a sharp point, then the gradient function is undefined at that point, i.e. it is discontinuous and you should show it by leaving an open circle. Likewise, if there is a discontinuous point in your original function, the primitive will also either have a sharp edge or discontinuous point (best put the latter imo). And if there is a sharp point in your original function the primitive will behave normally based on the values of the original function. But unless your test decides to be REALLY nasty and does that, you probably dont need to worry about this

Last edited:

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
An example of a function and its gradient function

Example.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)