Sketching Cubic equations (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
This probably isn't in the right section but I want to know if there is any 4U method of sketching Cubic equations.

My lecturer expected us to be able to sketch curves like:

x^3 - x^2 - 2x > 0

just by looking at the equation.

And I don't know how to do that unless I write some stuff on paper and solve it.

Is there any other way?

Thanks.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
From what little 4u ive done, i dont think there is a method of sketching the curve directly from looking at it .Unless your adept at factorising equations in your head, youd have to do it on paper to find the roots.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Well say you alerady know the roots, how do I know whether the root is going to be cnocave up or down just by looking at the equation?

Rahul

Dead Member
probably to see whether that point is above or below the x-axis, and check that with your sketch.

shkspeare

wants 99uai
test points between the roots
then u kno where it is positive or negative

then look at the type of root : linear root - > passes x axis
double - > touches x axis and comes back up / down again
triple - > horizontal point of inflexion

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, you don't need to do that. Your sketching. You know the roots (thats what Ragerunner has said), you know if the leading term is positive/negative and you know if the coefficient of the leading term is odd or even. You don't need to substitute in points. Your sketching, not graphing.

Am i missing something? Only reason I can think of doing something else is if you know there is a double/triple root.

EDIT:
I'll show you what I mean. take:
x^3 - x^2 - 2x > 0 (this is the equation Ragerunner provided :) )
according to Ragerunner, we already know the roots, so i'll just say what the roots are.
roots are:
-1, 0 and 2

now, leading term = x^3
therefore graph starts top right (ie, first quadrant at infinity)
as highest power (3) is odd, the graph will end up in the 3rd quadrant.
Now mark the roots.
-1, 0 and 2.

the ONLY way the graph could look is coming down from the top right, passing through 2, turning point below the x axis, going back through 0, turning point above the x axis, and then passing through -1, ending up in the third quadrant at infinity.

As you can see, you dont have to sub in points? I'm sketching the equation, not graphing it, so I don't need to find out where the turning points/inflexion points are.

Hope you see what I mean.

EDIT EDIT:
Oh! If you mean to check whether your graph is right or not, well, yes, you could/should substitute in points, and just double check your graph. But as you can see, its not hard, and there is very little room for error.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes! Thanks for your replies. I understand it now!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
:)

Its easy, really. Just hafta get the hang of it. whatever you do, don't waste time subbing in points. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)