single to double - am i behind? (1 Viewer)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
The question I have is, does every first year student study exactly the same subjects and what not in the first year, regardless of whether they are doing a double degree or not?

In my case I'm refering to commerce/law. What I am trying to get at is, if i only make a single degree next year, and internally transfer to a double degree in 2nd year, I am not actually behind am I? Because in the first year a double degree student is only studying the commerce degree anyways?

Cheers

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Depends on the uni and whether they are fixed or general degrees. A fixed degree such as law or medicine etc usually makes people do certain subjects at certain times while a general degree such as commerce is very flexible allowing you do a host of subjects whenever you want (except prereq's etc). So if you transfer from commerce to the double, you'll usually be a 1st year law student and then fit in your remainding commerce subjects that you have left around that law degree.

santaslayer

HSC
Meads said:
The question I have is, does every first year student study exactly the same subjects and what not in the first year, regardless of whether they are doing a double degree or not?

In my case I'm refering to commerce/law. What I am trying to get at is, if i only make a single degree next year, and internally transfer to a double degree in 2nd year, I am not actually behind am I? Because in the first year a double degree student is only studying the commerce degree anyways?

Cheers
I personally think that you will graduate a bit later, but it may be dependent on the univerisity. Core subjects must be done. Chronologically in first year. You must do at least the foundation law subjects first. (duh). At UoW you must complete at least one foundation law subject to move onto more substantial law topics.

Even if you are eligible to complete a certain topic, you may be hindered by the fact that the subject is not offered in that semester. So that screws you up as well. Not many Law subjects are offered in summer session.
Like Raiks said, you can fix that by putting your commerce subjects around 'spare' credit point space.

But I do personally think that you will end up graduating a bit later. Probably a semester behind. No big deal anyway.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Raiks said:
Depends on the uni and whether they are fixed or general degrees. A fixed degree such as law or medicine etc usually makes people do certain subjects at certain times while a general degree such as commerce is very flexible allowing you do a host of subjects whenever you want (except prereq's etc). So if you transfer from commerce to the double, you'll usually be a 1st year law student and then fit in your remainding commerce subjects that you have left around that law degree.
ah ok cheers.

but now I thought of an easier way to word the question. If it usually takes 5 years full-time to complete the double degree, is it still going to take 5 years to complete it, even if i start out with one year in a single degre? Or will it instead take 6?

edit: sorry santaslayer, just saw your reply, which basically answers my question. lol. The reason I am concerned about the time is because i have a traineeship for next year, so i need to get the double degree done in the 6 years basically, with 2 years full time study and 4 years part time. My worry is that I am not going to get a UAI high enough to get straight into a double degree, actually getting a high enough UAI is very unlikely :p

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Meads said:
ah ok cheers.

but now I thought of an easier way to word the question. If it usually takes 5 years full-time to complete the double degree, is it still going to take 5 years to complete it, even if i start out with one year in a single degre? Or will it instead take 6?

edit: sorry santaslayer, just saw your reply, which basically answers my question. lol. The reason I am concerned about the time is because i have a traineeship for next year, so i need to get the double degree done in the 6 years basically, with 2 years full time study and 4 years part time. My worry is that I am not going to get a UAI high enough to get straight into a double degree, actually getting a high enough UAI is very unlikely :p
It may take more, dependent upon your chosen university. I think that yes, if you went to UoW, you'll def spend more time. I have a friend who transferred after 1st year. He's STILL going to do a double major in Marketing and Finance. What a retard. :p

Unless you can convince the Dean to allow you to overload on credit points. You may also want to do Summer Session. You need to carefully plan the type of subjects you'll do in order to minimise time at uni.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw your post as well. :p

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
ah ok, well this 'planning' my subjects you are talking about, I cant do any of that until I am actually at University can I?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
At australia's best uni (usyd), they do more commerce than law in 1st year. If you were to do b. commerce than transfer, as long as you fufilled the same requirements you wouldnt have to catch anything up i shouldnt think. The problem would be actually transferring.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Or you could suck me off and go to UoW (Australia's real best uni).

santaslayer

HSC
Meads said:
ah ok, well this 'planning' my subjects you are talking about, I cant do any of that until I am actually at University can I?
You can't be too accurate unless you are studying at uni.
For Summer Session, the subjects differ in availability. Probably dependent upon the number of forecasted students that would take the subject. (ie. how many turds failed, if this is a high demand subject.. etc...)

I know UoW's undergraduate handbook has a recommended order of subjects to take(which include your commerce subjects). All of these subjects tell you its availability in its two sessions.

absolution, ALL universities set their Commerce/LLB degrees in that manner. Their percieved reputation is undisputable, yet USYD has a reputation of being a chalk and board uni, according to many of it's student's admissions. This was in 2003 though, maybe they have changed somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)