sin city . crime fiction (1 Viewer)

dels01

HSC
heyy..

i was wondering if anyone would be able to explain what sin city is about...
i could follow the basic plot but i dont understand how all the separate mini stories link together, the relevance of the opening scene and the main values?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Wikipedia and imdb reviews are your friends.

Also <3 alba.

annie-o

HSC
hey dels01.. guess who?

okay.. sorry. this isn't a helpful reply..

but yes.. HI!

asabbouh

HSC
One may consider sin city from a postmodern point of view....

how each story connects is actually quite fascinating.

iishjoo

HSC
i second what bob said. sounds really helpful.

:)

BOO_YAH!

dels01

HSC
asabbouh said:
One may consider sin city from a postmodern point of view....

how each story connects is actually quite fascinating.

hello a sabbouh and all who have replied to my thread..

how, would you suggest, might one consider sin city from a post modern view?

Last edited:
HSC
Oh, LMAO!
This is just getting weird now.
On the eve of Ext. English exam I find this. And I laughed. Oh man.
Can you guess who I am? LOL.

Rainbow Sun

HSC
The reason they link togethor is that characters from each story appear in others. Its showing how the "underworld" of Basin City is known to everyone, every criminal knows where to go and have contact with the other criminals.

SairWiso

HSC
The opening scene is relevant to the upcoming SIN CITY 2

icecoffee

HSC
I realise this is an old thread and my question is kinda off-topic but what sub-genre would Sin City come under? I suppose Hartigan is to some extent harboiled...any suggestions?

Fsadni

HSC
Well, my teacher got me to do this question over the school holidays.
"The Modern Crime Fiction has deviated from the Classical form. In a feature article, explore how and why this has occurred."
The classical text was "The Real Inspector Hound", and my chosen texts are "Big Sleep" (which I've put down to the 'hard-boiled' type of CF) and "Sin City" (which I've put down as my 'Contemporary/realist' style).

As for how they relate, look at common characters throughout the story lines. That creepy dude is one, and so is, the stripper. I can't remember her name, though.

holden4ever89

HSC
Film noir is properly the best angle to approach this text from, because its adherence to conventional noiristic elements is controversial and disputed.

"Film Noir exhibits are reliance on emotionally, physically, and mentally shortcomings of characters"

Hartigan - physical disability (heart condition)

Merv - physical deformaty as well as schzoprenia

Good cop - mental inabilty to defend the law he should uphold and his seeming love interest (the head honco of the prostitute district)

Also, there is no distinct time period for the movie. This is partially film noir, partially post-modern - There is a convergence of 1950's ragtops, costuming from the g-string era etc etc - this encourages a focus on characters and the relationship of the seedy underworld, rather then the era they reverberate within.

AH yeh, and then there is the other techniques - constantly wet streets, lighting and shadowing (obviously).

meh, i will look up more notes later if anyone requests them

icecoffee

HSC
Where would the denouement start in regards to 'That Yellow Bastard'? It's when order is restored so when Hartigan kills himself? Or would that be the conclusion? I'm so confused! Help please!!!

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
In regards the "That Yellow Bastard", I would personally consider the dénouement to be after Junior's death; from Nancy and Hartigan's last conversation to Hartigan's death, perhaps?

icecoffee

HSC
ohh i see, cause order is in a sense restored. Thanks!!! :p

Fsadni

HSC
I would go with Hartigan personally, out of all the characters, as he is the easiest to do, with the hard boiled noir.
Sin City could also double as a modern text, as well as noir, and you could use it to discuss how crime fiction has changed over time.
Also, you can tell your parents you have to watch tv for your study, lol. But actually do work to prove it, sometimes they check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)