• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Simple Probability Question (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
I struggle with this topic, though I'm trying to get better. I'd appreciate it if you could show me the working for this question:

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
I struggle with this topic, though I'm trying to get better. I'd appreciate it if you could show me the working for this question:

So we multiply the events of G passing and S and E failing.

Ambility

HSC

So we multiply the events of G passing and S and E failing.
The answer in the back of the book is . Isn't the sample space, or the number of possible outcomes reduced when one person, and only one, must pass? Question 16c, 10C Cambridge 3U HSC for reference.

Drsoccerball

HSC
The answer in the back of the book is . Isn't the sample space, or the number of possible outcomes reduced when one person, and only one, must pass? Question 16c, 10C Cambridge 3U HSC for reference.
No because the probability of one person passing doesn't depend on the others results

Ambility

HSC
No because the probability of one person passing doesn't depend on the others results
But the question did not say at least one person passed, it said only one person passed. This means that S,G passing but E failing is not a desirable outcome. Are you sure this doesn't effect the answer? Is the textbook answer incorrect?

Drsoccerball

HSC
But the question did not say at least one person passed, it said only one person passed. This means that S,G passing but E failing is not a desirable outcome. Are you sure this doesn't effect the answer? Is the textbook answer incorrect?

. If only one of them passes,
He said only one passes.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes, the driving test question is a conditional probability question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)